Should I replace

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I replace the stock protein skimmer that came with the Recife Eco 40 gal. cube with the IceCap Nano skimmer?

OP
OP
R

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that it isn't real good- haven't got tank going yet so was wondering if I should replace now or wait to see what the stock can do.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be inclined to try the stock one out first, since there's little resale value in proprietary skimmers. You may find it's sufficient. I don't think you'll be able to fit the IceCap in the same location; you may have to place it in the pump chamber.

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you wind up trying out the ice cap? I'm running this tank without a skimmer right now but my phosphates are pretty high so wanting to pick one up. I tried the Aquatop one and couldn't get it to fill the cup so wound up returning it. Looking for other options.

Alexwlwsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the note of skimmers, I have the aquatop recife 24 which has what looks to be the same stock skimmer. The skimmer location is a 3in square which makes it nearly impossible to fit anything in there. I have an Icecap K1 Neo (smaller than the nano) coming today in the mail and I'll try and remember to post here if it fits.

Alexwlwsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap Neo fits into the 3in square nicely on the Recife 24!

PXL_20220209_025048625.jpg

It's definitely touchy on water height currently so I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next couple of weeks while it breaks in.

drywalljohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that ice cap working out ? Having same issues finding a skimmer upgrade … I got the Aquatop 40 .. thjnk that ice cap is a bit under sized .. says rated 5-10 gallons .. how’s it working for ya ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back