Should I shut off my canister filter when feeding my coral?

John Lizzol III

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a year into reefing and really want to know if it’s better to shut my whole canister filter completely off when feeding my corals. I just got this canister filter (CF500 UV MKII) for my 55 gallon reef tank, I’ve previously had two tidal 110’s on my tank and then recently transferred all the bio media from two HOB’s to this big canister filter. For anyone that knows Tidals HOB’s, they come with a built-surface skimmer. When I would feed corals previously, I would unplug them for 30 minutes and then turn them back on when the time was up. I actually leave on my three power heads when feeding them. So for this canister, it comes with a UV sterilizer (which I know to shut off for a certain amount of time when feeding corals, it’s controlled by a switch that’s built in) AND an optional surface skimmer (which I don’t use due to preference). I’m concerned because I keep seeing people comment that they sit off their main return pump when feeding their corals. Is my canister filter considered my main return pump? I just don’t see a point in keeping it running when I pour Fuel, AB+, or reef roids when the intake tube can just suck it right up. But, I’ve heard others oppose. What do you guys think?
P.S. I don’t run any carbon pads in my tank, just some green phosphate reducing pads in the canister. Also, I have only softies in there, zoas, mushrooms, finger leather, gsp, and a sebae anemone.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking the situation is like when you go out for pizza with your friends vs having the pizza delivered to your house.

The filter, like your friends is sucking the pizza up off the table and if you just sit there like a coral you’ll never get a slice. On the other hand, if you shut the filter off your friends aren’t with you at home and the delivery guy hands you the pizza and you can just chill and eat.

When you are eating and the filter comes back on that’s just like your friends to drop in at dinner time and they suck up the pizza you have left.

So it’s great that your friends got to eat but if you starve because they never let you eat then they will be fat and stuffed with pizza, the coral may not grow much but you will have to clean out the filter more often and the food you have been feeding will just go to make more nitrogen waste.

IHTH.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
J

John Lizzol III

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking the situation is like when you go out for pizza with your friends vs having the pizza delivered to your house.

The filter, like your friends is sucking the pizza up off the table and if you just sit there like a coral you’ll never get a slice. On the other hand, if you shut the filter off your friends aren’t with you at home and the delivery guy hands you the pizza and you can just chill and eat.

When you are eating and the filter comes back on that’s just like your friends to drop in at dinner time and they suck up the pizza you have left.

So it’s great that your friends got to eat but if you starve because they never let you eat then they will be fat and stuffed with pizza, the coral may not grow much but you will have to clean out the filter more often and the food you have been feeding will just go to make more nitrogen waste.

IHTH.
Thank you for this analogy sir I’ve been thinking the same thing! I appreciate your input!

Upvote 0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IHTH.
great analogy

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back