Should I slice my black widow

420reffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sliced my rainbow bubble tip in 4 succsesfully ND now I have a rlly good sized black widow I just got I'm planing on doing the same whose intrested in watching things go down I'ma record it
IMG_20190630_143635897.jpeg
IMG_20190630_193128565.jpeg

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you would want to slice an anemone, I know we great corals and all? I've always thought of anemone splitting to be a survival instinct. People have never seen any rhyme or reason to it but my experience was with my RBTA that got to be a good 8" wide when fully open that was a year old, for a few months it would release sperm at night and I guess because it never had any response so it decided to split a couple of times.

I'm just wondering that's all.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you would want to slice an anemone, I know we great corals and all? I've always thought of anemone splitting to be a survival instinct. People have never seen any rhyme or reason to it but my experience was with my RBTA that got to be a good 8" wide when fully open that was a year old, for a few months it would release sperm at night and I guess because it never had any response so it decided to split a couple of times.

OP
OP
420reffer

420reffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The first time was bcuz my bubble tip didn't split this time I wanna slice it bcuz between some friends we pitched in money to buy it so that way we all get a piece

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time was bcuz my bubble tip didn't split this time I wanna slice it bcuz between some friends we pitched in money to buy it so that way we all get a piece
Got it. Good luck with it.

U

User1

View Badges
These questions I always answer the same:

Just because you can, should you? The short answer is no, you shouldn't. Bubble tips have a way of doing this naturally provided they are housed in an environment suitable enough. I think in this case you are looking for something immediate and an answer of yes so not sure why the question was even asked. Best of luck.

Edit to clarify: I started with 1 and ended up with 11. I gave a few away and now holding steady at about 9. I've seen tanks with more than this in which their split almost monthly in which case their tank was covered with them to plague proportions. Thus my comment about immediate vs. time.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just because you can, should you? The short answer is no, you shouldn't. Bubble tips have a way of doing this naturally provided they are housed in an environment suitable enough. I think in this case you are looking for something immediate and an answer of yes so not sure why the question was even asked. Best of luck.

Many corals also have ways to propagate themselves in nature. Should we not forcibly frag corals and instead wait for it to happen naturally?

Slicing anemones in half in order to increase supply happens all the time successfully. Most anemones you buy in LFS's have been propagated in this manner. They don't sit around and wait for the anemone to do it themselves.

U

User1

View Badges
Many corals also have ways to propagate themselves in nature. Should we not forcibly frag corals and instead wait for it to happen naturally?

Slicing anemones in half in order to increase supply happens all the time successfully. Most anemones you buy in LFS's have been propagated in this manner. They don't sit around and wait for the anemone to do it themselves.

Thus the immediate I added and why bother asking?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit to clarify: I started with 1 and ended up with 11. I gave a few away and now holding steady at about 9. I've seen tanks with more than this in which their split almost monthly in which case their tank was covered with them to plague proportions. Thus my comment about immediate vs. time.

I’ve had one split 5 times now in probably 5/6 months lol

OP
OP
420reffer

420reffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone today I am cutting the black widow I will keep u updated

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back