Should I switch to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 33gal nano and I currently use Aqua Forest reef salt which mixed fine, I have a mixed reef of LPS & Softies however I am struggling to keep my Dkh above 7 between water changes (10% weekly's)

I dont really want to get into dosing just yet and I plan to add more LPS (I am still new so won't be touching SPS for a while)

Is it worth me switching to this salt to help maintain the levels between my weekly 10% water changes? I hear mixed reviews but many say it's a good salt mix if slightly high on the Alk. My bioload is pretty high with 4 fish and a Fire Shrimp. Nitrates are around 17 as of recent testing.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 33gal nano and I currently use Aqua Forest reef salt which mixed fine, I have a mixed reef of LPS & Softies however I am struggling to keep my Dkh above 7 between water changes (10% weekly's)

I dont really want to get into dosing just yet and I plan to add more LPS (I am still new so won't be touching SPS for a while)

Is it worth me switching to this salt to help maintain the levels between my weekly 10% water changes? I hear mixed reviews but many say it's a good salt mix if slightly high on the Alk. My bioload is pretty high with 4 fish and a Fire Shrimp. Nitrates are around 17 as of recent testing.
Red Sea Coral pro was made just for you

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's worth a try. If you need to buy new salt anyway. I've always used iO but just tried a small bucket of rs coral pro recently because I figured why not as I saw it at the store (and I wanted that little bucket ;)). Nothing blinked in the tank. I wouldn't switch salt for any sort of drastic change/problem correction though. At the end of the day I feel they're all in a range that supports life so understand the implications of new/different parameters and have at it I say

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily boost alk by adding a little baking soda when mixing your salt. If you are happy with your current salt, I'd be hesitant to switch just because alk is a little lower than you would like.

bryanfuel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily boost alk by adding a little baking soda when mixing your salt. If you are happy with your current salt, I'd be hesitant to switch just because alk is a little lower than you would like.
Yeah I agree with this. If your current salt is working pretty well I wouldn’t want to switch it up. There are some simple ways of dosing like kale in the ATO water.

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What your salinity at? I use the same salt and had lower Alk than i wanted, so have just increased the mix and slowly moving my parameters higher.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I started dosing, my reefing success went up.

Try starting with small amounts of all for reef.

Or educate yourself now on kalkwasser.

Kalk is so cheap and easy.

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your salinity at? I use the same salt and had lower Alk than i wanted, so have just increased the mix and slowly moving my parameters higher.
SG is 1.025 which I am happy with. Dosing is a little daunting for me at the moment so I figured change to a higher param salt i.e. Red Sea Pro. Maybe I should consider some All for Reef and trial that

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG is 1.025 which I am happy with. Dosing is a little daunting for me at the moment so I figured change to a higher param salt i.e. Red Sea Pro. Maybe I should consider some All for Reef and trial that
Hmmm, must admit my ALK is lower than i'd like using the Aquaforest, was tempted to look to does as well.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing may seem challenging but once you start (i would recommend getting a basic dosing pump that you can control) it's an easy way to maintain stable conditions with testing parameters every few days to make sure things stay stable. Raising dKH by water changes seems like you would have big Alk swings between water changes

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back