Should I take my sandbed out and rinse it?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank about 4 months ago and I realized when I set it up that I made a fatal mistake of not rinsing the sandbed. This has impacted my sandbed today because it is extremely dusty and it is a breeding ground for cyano on top of the fact with the ugly stage. I am unsure if this is just bad because it’s the ugly stage and it’ll go away in time of if it never will. The dustiness bothers me as well because i have to gently vacuum my sandbed during every water change. Not like you should be aggressive normally but it always kicks up sand after a water change. Should I take out all my sandbed out and rinse it? If I should, could you recommend ways I could take it out efficiently?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is very easy to do that in the initial ugly stages, its not harmful at all. here's two 100% perfect examples of your job requested. there's a few more hidden side benefits of doing so as well, overall its a great move for smaller systems we can see in before + after pics here

that one thread totally covers the method. we listed a step by step order.

the old way of reefing was you held on to whatever was in your sandbed at all times lol, no matter what, even if doing so set you back.

you will see as you rinse and prep this sand its not full of crawling worms and life like a fifteen year aged bed, its a bunch of cloudy mess you're rinsing free and nobody will miss it. that's the new science. new science has all the good and quick after pics.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back