Should I worry about using Carib Sea dry rock?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,751
Reaction score
2,772
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’m going to make a large scape. I’m going to use 1/3rd TBS but the. I will also use some dry. I have never used dry rock before. Well, maybe 20-30 pounds. My build will be larger.
 
I’m going to make a large scape. I’m going to use 1/3rd TBS but the. I will also use some dry. I have never used dry rock before. Well, maybe 20-30 pounds. My build will be larger.

The opinion index with this topic is about 50/50.

Some people, will say dry rock in the devil incarnate while others (like me) will use it exclusively. Most of the dry rock haters will "cite" anecdotal PO4 concerns. For the longest time I had to dose phosphates to keep them in my desired range using dry rock.

My current reef tank is a mix of half CaribSea Life Rock and the other half Tropic Eden dry rock.

I've have never experienced headaches with bryopsis or dinos. But of course everybody's experience is unique when it comes to nuisance algae and hitchhikers.
 
The opinion index with this topic is about 50/50.

Some people, will say dry rock in the devil incarnate while others (like me) will use it exclusively. Most of the dry rock haters will "cite" anecdotal PO4 concerns. For the longest time I had to dose phosphates to keep them in my desired range using dry rock.

My current reef tank is a mix of half CaribSea Life Rock and the other half Tropic Eden dry rock.

I've have never experienced headaches with bryopsis or dinos. But of course everybody's experience is unique when it comes to nuisance algae and hitchhikers.
Exclusively dry rock here too (same as you, mix of CaribSea Life Rock, Tropic Eden and another one I can't remember, lol). I'm too much of a control freak about what goes into my tank to use live rock - to each their own!
 
I've not used that brand but I would think you'll be good since your adding live rock also. I'll never do another dry rock only start up but two of my current tanks were dry rock displays with the sumps packed with as much live rock as I could fit and I never had an ugly phase in either one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new