Shout out to backup power!

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We almost never get snow in Texas, but the winter wonderland has been thrust upon us this time! Just wanted to give a shout out to all the redundant power I built into my systems. We survived 3 outages, 45 mins, 15 mins and the current one is at the 30 min mark now. So far, everything is humming right along on the batteries, but the generator is standing by just in case! Feels good to see knowledge I learned from this forum paying off! Stay warm out there and keep your livestock warm & happy!

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m also in Texas. The power went out last night for about 15 minutes. I have just woken up this morning and power is out again; I have no idea when that happened or how long it will be off for. This is the third outage in 2 weeks!

My tank currently isn’t an issue as it is only cycling, but I think today I’m going to buy one of those air pumps that automatically turns on when the power fails.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this baby installed in October 2020.... and so thankful. It ran for a total of 39 hours. Without it my reef would be a goner for sure!

1613657935552.png

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this baby installed in October 2020.... and so thankful. It ran for a total of 39 hours. Without it my reef would be a goner for sure!

1613657935552.png
That's next on my list! Although the wife started talking about buying a new house....right after I got the new tank going, so we'll see how that plays out. If so, there will definitely be redundancy at the new place.

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up my tank and trying to decide what to do for outages. I live in Maine and we occasionally lose power for a week or more. Just got a small generator, but it doesn’t turn on right away, and I’m occasionally several hours away working. Other than the air pumps that turn on automatically, what would you recommend? Anything that would run a heater for a couple hours?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up my tank and trying to decide what to do for outages. I live in Maine and we occasionally lose power for a week or more. Just got a small generator, but it doesn’t turn on right away, and I’m occasionally several hours away working. Other than the air pumps that turn on automatically, what would you recommend? Anything that would run a heater for a couple hours?
An inverter and a deep cycle marine battery or two. that's basically all a UPS is. Daisy chain more batteries for more capacity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back