Shout Out: Your return pump and should it auto shut off or not if it runs dry?

When it comes to your return pump would you rather....

• .....it shut off with an alarm if it is running dry

Votes: 657 89.5%
  • .....stay on with alarm if it is running dry

Votes: 77 10.5%

• Total voters

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the setup and the pump. My reeflo will run dry without harming the motor so it is setup with no alarming and is not connected to my apex.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sensors can fail. I much rather have the pump running and if a sensor thinks the environment is dry to send an alert.

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather have the pump send a notification to my phone/email, shut off and stay shut off until I can return home to reset. as long as the display has saltwater and the wavemakers are on I am sure that everything will survive a few days. my theory is if this was standard expensive protein skimmers and other equipment will not burn out due to the return pump draining the sump. on the contrary if the pump has a automatic switch/float that turns on and off by water volume automatically it would be flawed and not worth the money.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's time for another SHOUT OUT and poll! :p

The owner of Abyzz Pumps asked a question and I would like to help him out and get a consensus!

When it comes to your return pump would you rather the pump auto shut off with an audible alert if the pump runs dry for an amount of time or would you rather the pump keep trying to pump with an audible alert as well?

There are many different scenarios where you could lose equipment or your livestock either way you choose but what do you prefer and why?

A400-mit-ACS_1280x1280@2x.jpg

Part of the answer depends on the time it would shut off after the alarm. It also depends on what it means to 'become dry'. If no water at all were flowing - I would prefer it to shut off immediately. If it was still flowing - with bubbles in the tank, for example - I would prefer it to keep running until it became (by whatever definition the pump maker choses) unsafe for that particular pump to keep running. Im assuming that the way the pump would set off an alarm is faster revolution of the pump - or like the Gyre which shuts off if its run out of water as compared to a water level detector.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather it turn off if it is completely dry. I would prefer it to slow down first because this will re-submerge the pump by taking less water from the sump, and then send me a message so I can go check my ATO/setup.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who wouldn't want to it to turn off? Curious to hear the reasoning from the 10% who voted to continue to let it run while dry.
Its the definition of what 'dry' is - to me. Sucking air - I would want it to keep running - 'dry' ie no water - or not enough water that would be dangerous to the pump - I would say 'shut off'

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back