Show off those elegance corals!

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really considering getting an elegance coral. I've been in the saltwater hobby for just a little over 3 years now, with 2.5 of those years keeping coral. The first time I talked to my LFS and they said I could keep coral, my eyes lit up. My first coral was a reverse stem branching hammer. I got in the hobby for the fish, I stayed in it for the coral (still love the fish). One coral I've always thought was super cool, but never pulled the trigger on is the elegance coral. Show me your best pic of your elegance coral to hype me up/convince me to take the plunge. Any advice on care is appreciated too.

BONUS: I want to get a pink tip and gold/yellow tip, so likes will be given to every pic of said variants.
yellow-tip-elegance-coral.jpg

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Aussie elegance isn't anything special aside from the fact that it is my first coral. Its very hardy. My only complaint is that it is a snail murderer! Its the only reason I lose snails. Also, it has probably grown about 5x the size in 1 year.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Aussie elegance isn't anything special aside from the fact that it is my first coral. Its very hardy. My only complaint is that it is a snail murderer! Its the only reason I lose snails. Also, it has probably grown about 5x the size in 1 year.
Awesome! I love the scape and that fairy wrasse. What kind of wrasse is it?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Also... :oops: did your zoas spread out on the sand like that? I've never seen them grow on sand, let alone attach themselves like that.
They're on a rock down there that the clowns *insist* on keeping just barely buried. I spent a few weeks digging them up constantly and then realized they were continuing to grow anyway so decided to stop wasting my time.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're on a rock down there that the clowns *insist* on keeping just barely buried. I spent a few weeks digging them up constantly and then realized they were continuing to grow anyway so decided to stop wasting my time.
They're super cool looking. Whether they continue to grow or not, I don't think I'd want to uncover them.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I love the scape and that fairy wrasse. What kind of wrasse is it?
Haha tbh with you, I only know it as a fairy wrasse, I'm not sure what kind it is...

Thanks for your kind words! Also, I like that elegance in your photo. If i could pick a new one again, I'd go with a shorter tentacled and more colourful one for sure. There's lots of really crazy cool looking ones out there!

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha tbh with you, I only know it as a fairy wrasse, I'm not sure what kind it is...

Thanks for your kind words! Also, I like that elegance in your photo. If i could pick a new one again, I'd go with a shorter tentacled and more colourful one for sure. There's lots of really crazy cool looking ones out there!
I just googled gold tip elegance and that was the best I could find in 15 seconds.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a pic of the wrasse? I like trying to identify them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a whiter tank? I love the balanced look. What lights are you using? I run one of my tanks with only AI Prime HD on the BRS spectrum. It's pretty white, but I have it running on a very blue ramp up/down.
At that time the tank was lit by 2x250 watt 6500K Iwasaki along with 2xATI Coral Plus and 2xATI 03. I then switched to 4x Kessil a360W with 2 Blue Plus T5.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an Elegance I picked up a couple years ago from Cherry Corals. I was having problems keeping them alive and his were advertised as 'Bulletproof Elegance'. It was just a one inch frag. But it's done incredibly well and grown like a beast, now about 8" end to end. It's got a resident crab and sometimes a canary blenny likes to lounge amongst its tentacles.

IMG_7553b.jpg

And here are a couple of smaller ones, side by side, in a different tank. They're a bit more secluded and not out front like the other one.

IMG_7558b.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back