Show off your ANGLER FISH!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king sorry, another question. How often should anglers be fed?
Initially you need to get them eating and settled, most times they are starving, and many times haven't even been fed since collection. This is another reason for their high mortality rates. Feed them a small meal at the beginning, and maybe even small meals for the 1st few days. Once settled in, little itty bitty guys, like the 1" wartys that seem to come in alot, can be ok for every other day. Eventually that turns into twice a week; then at about a year, no more than once a week. Some have success with once a week to 10 days, feeding too often is a definite killer though. That's just a rough guide, as each situation has variables. With the angler it's a fine line of feeding enough, and over feeding; they will always act like they are starving. Feed them a few smaller items rather than something large; it's easier on digestion. Feed them until you see a nice bulge in their belly, then give them a fasting period for digestion. When they get hungry they'll cruise around, hunting, let them cruise for a day(smaller ones),to a couple of days(larger ones. They are not going to starve, you are spoiling them, they would never eat so well in the wild. Maintaining reef level mg helps with digestion, and you can even spot their bowel movement, it's literally like a dog turd. If you are able to spot it will help you get on the proper feeding cycle for your situation. You definitely want them cruising around hunting before you feed them again.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His name is Keropi! Currently being weened off of live foods to live and frozen. Loved his sw mollies and fw guppies
inbound7095567537866423868.jpg
Beautiful! This is the type (or at least colouration) of one I saw at my LFS. I want one of these guys so much but need a separate tank. Way too many small fish in my current tank that I don't want becoming dinner. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially you need to get them eating and settled, most times they are starving, and many times haven't even been fed since collection. This is another reason for their high mortality rates. Feed them a small meal at the beginning, and maybe even small meals for the 1st few days. Once settled in, little itty bitty guys, like the 1" wartys that seem to come in alot, can be ok for every other day. Eventually that turns into twice a week; then at about a year, no more than once a week. Some have success with once a week to 10 days, feeding too often is a definite killer though. That's just a rough guide, as each situation has variables. With the angler it's a fine line of feeding enough, and over feeding; they will always act like they are starving. Feed them a few smaller items rather than something large; it's easier on digestion. Feed them until you see a nice bulge in their belly, then give them a fasting period for digestion. When they get hungry they'll cruise around, hunting, let them cruise for a day(smaller ones),to a couple of days(larger ones. They are not going to starve, you are spoiling them, they would never eat so well in the wild. Maintaining reef level mg helps with digestion, and you can even spot their bowel movement, it's literally like a dog turd. If you are able to spot it will help you get on the proper feeding cycle for your situation. You definitely want them cruising around hunting before you feed them again.
You mention the little 1" wartys. On average how big do those guys get when adults or are there too many types collected to know an average? Thanks for your great info on keeping these guys! :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention the little 1" wartys. On average how big do those guys get when adults or are there too many types collected to know an average? Thanks for your great info on keeping these guys! :)

They list at 4" max, but that's wild size max. I haven't seen any grown out much more than 2.5" or just over. We are talking about the wartskin angler(antennarius maculatus). Other popular species like the painted angler(antennarius pictus) will get about twice that size. I'm talking about growing up an itty bitty one, not ones that are collected at a large size, even then the max listed sized is not the common size most are found. As a reference, I wouldn't keep any fish the size of a large sixline wrasse or smaller with a warty.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They list at 4" max, but that's wild size max. I haven't seen any grown out much more than 2.5" or just over. We are talking about the wartskin angler(antennarius maculatus). Other popular species like the painted angler(antennarius pictus) will get about twice that size. I'm talking about growing up an itty bitty one, not ones that are collected at a large size, even then the max listed sized is not the common size most are found. As a reference, I wouldn't keep any fish the size of a large sixline wrasse or smaller with a warty.
Thank you for this! I have to start working on getting a second tank. :) So would you say even an adult that grew to just 2.5" could swallow a yellow goby or at minimum would try? They look like their mouths can open huge but sometimes it's hard to tell how big the angler is in the video.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! I have to start working on getting a second tank. :) So would you say even an adult that grew to just 2.5" could swallow a yellow goby or at minimum would try? They look like their mouths can open huge but sometimes it's hard to tell how big the angler is in the video.

They can eat fish as large as themselves; a yellow clown goby, toast. A large yellow watchman goby probably ok. It is not wise to tempt fate with these guys, I have seen them die trying to eat fish even larger than themselves.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can eat fish as large as themselves; a yellow clown goby, toast. A large yellow watchman goby probably ok. It is not wise to tempt fate with these guys, I have seen them die trying to eat fish even larger than themselves.
Thanks and totally agree about not tempting fate. I was just trying to get an idea of the size of prey they might go after relative to their size. I will definitely setup a separate tank. I hope to post my own pics here at some point. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything you don't do?
Yes, I can't scratch my back right in between my shoulder blades.

! Do you make them to sell? If so how much is one like you posted?
That Steam Punk one with the gears and tesla coil sold for $900 in a gallery in Manhattan with most of the rest of them. Some are here in a gallery out in eastern Long Island.

I don't make them any more because they are much to time consuming. I gave one to my Daughter and I kept this porcupine fish because Iike his smile. :D

I make a lot of useless stuff and a lot of angler fish. :p

All of this sold in a gallery.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can't scratch my back right in between my shoulder blades.

That Steam Punk one with the gears and tesla coil sold for $900 in a gallery in Manhattan with most of the rest of them. Some are here in a gallery out in eastern Long Island.

I don't make them any more because they are much to time consuming. I gave one to my Daughter and I kept this porcupine fish because Iike his smile. :D

I make a lot of useless stuff and a lot of angler fish. :p

All of this sold in a gallery.

OMG! I've been to Manhattan and Long Island so many times (friends are there). I could've bought one at the gallery if the timing was right. My loss. Such beautiful stuff!!! Are there any angler pieces still at the Long Island gallery?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this one, my last one is still at the gallery. She was selling it for $500.00. Not really an angler fish. I am not sure what it is thats why it is so cheap. But it is copper so it doesn't get ich.

I don't sell anything, nothing. Not even pictures of my barber.

(Sorry about sidelining this thread, but it is about anglerfish) :rolleyes:

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining reef level mg helps with digestion, and you can even spot their bowel movement, it's literally like a dog turd. If you are able to spot it will help you get on the proper feeding cycle for your situation. You definitely want them cruising around hunting before you feed them again.
I finally found an angler and was able to feed it a damsel. You mentioned that if I find their turd that it'll help me get them on a proper feeding cycle. If I do find their turd, does that mean they're ready to be fed again?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found an angler and was able to feed it a damsel. You mentioned that if I find their turd that it'll help me get them on a proper feeding cycle. If I do find their turd, does that mean they're ready to be fed again?

Usually that is a good indicator. I would refrain from using damsels, as using salt water fish it is only a matter of time before introducing disease. Use mollies or guppies as your live fish source.

BarnacleBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this thread I had a small angler years ago that died rather suddenly after about a year. It was in its own tank and I thought I was caring for it correctly. I have always wanted another.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Froggie is doing great, I ended up giving him his own tank so I could keep it cooler than the main tank. His tank is set up right next to the main tank, so he can watch the other fish like a TV!

Attachments

• 294446402_5214882385247694_4025777364454988836_n.jpg
    294446402_5214882385247694_4025777364454988836_n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 76

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back