Black angler dying!? Please help**

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I came home from work today and my angler that I just gotten in and acclimated yesterday was sitting upside down almost floating off the sand kinda going with the flow when last night he had been acting normal properly latched onto a rock just doing his angler thing. Saw him crawling around a little.

Inspecting him for awhile I was almost 100% sure he was dead. Even took him out of the tank, thank God it didnt look like he'd swallowed any air. but when I put him back he'd have sudden short jolts when I gently tried to move him towards the rockwork and then just stay static in whatever position he was.

It looks like there might be something growing off of him, I literally just saw him open up his mouth and close it like he was gulping****************, this is really weird first experience with one of these. I have him perched up on a rock right now and he's sticking there
20230902_130900.jpg
, I moved him to a lower flow area of the tank and sectioned it off keeping it away from light.

I hear it's common for these to be under fed but I was going to wait a day or two to try to feed him. I'm taking my tank parameters right now but when I did the acclimation everything was good the only other thing in the tank is a pistol shrimp and a small Toby puffer which has been separated from the angler the entire time. I'll post a picture

What should I do? I think it could be stress related. I am considering running a small carbon reactor I'm the off chance that there's some sort of toxin from the puffer but the puffer seems to be doing great.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work today and my angler that I just gotten in and acclimated yesterday was sitting upside down almost floating off the sand kinda going with the flow when last night he had been acting normal properly latched onto a rock just doing his angler thing. Saw him crawling around a little.

Inspecting him for awhile I was almost 100% sure he was dead. Even took him out of the tank, thank God it didnt look like he'd swallowed any air. but when I put him back he'd have sudden short jolts when I gently tried to move him towards the rockwork and then just stay static in whatever position he was.

It looks like there might be something growing off of him, I literally just saw him open up his mouth and close it like he was gulping****************, this is really weird first experience with one of these. I have him perched up on a rock right now and he's sticking there
20230902_130900.jpg
, I moved him to a lower flow area of the tank and sectioned it off keeping it away from light.

I hear it's common for these to be under fed but I was going to wait a day or two to try to feed him. I'm taking my tank parameters right now but when I did the acclimation everything was good the only other thing in the tank is a pistol shrimp and a small Toby puffer which has been separated from the angler the entire time. I'll post a picture

What should I do? I think it could be stress related. I am considering running a small carbon reactor I'm the off chance that there's some sort of toxin from the puffer but the puffer seems to be doing great.

Was the fish shipped to you or did you pick it up at a local store?
Do you know the salinity of the water it was in compared to your tank?

Puffers are not super good tankmates for anglers (depending on the species and relative size of the two fish).

Jay

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This was basically a quarantine tank I had the puffer and the angler divided the entire time. Now for potentially the last question.

Shipped, I suspect that's where things went wrong

How do I tell if he's genuinely passed.......

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hasn't moved in two plus hours and was lying flipped upside down with his mouth open here's a picture he's right side up now but he didn't move himself
20230902_170811.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back