0   0   0
Just got a sargassum angler to put with my lionfish

B4EFD80D-12ED-43B6-9CC8-7A859389E202.jpeg

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i meant he smallest angler for aquariums and its tank size.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my angler tonight, and I'm a bit heartbroken. I had him for 2 1/2 years. He got a bacterial infection. I tried treating him, but that's likely what put him over the edge.

I made a decision, leave him alone and definitely die, or treat him and possibly die. I treated him. He ate a new addition 2 months ago (too big) and was never the same.

This is my 3rd angler. They all seem to get to the 2 year mark, everything is great and they are growing, then something happens.

How long has anyone had an angler in their tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my angler tonight, and I'm a bit heartbroken. I had him for 2 1/2 years. He got a bacterial infection. I tried treating him, but that's likely what put him over the edge.

I made a decision, leave him alone and definitely die, or treat him and possibly die. I treated him. He ate a new addition 2 months ago (too big) and was never the same.

This is my 3rd angler. They all seem to get to the 2 year mark, everything is great and they are growing, then something happens.

How long has anyone had an angler in their tank?

Sorry to hear about your loss, I tried to give you optimistic support, but I knew it was fated. 3 years has been my high mark, I;ve kept 3 that all got to the 2.5 to 3 years mark. I've seen alot around here, I've never met anyone that even kept them as long as a year.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss, I tried to give you optimistic support, but I knew it was fated. 3 years has been my high mark, I;ve kept 3 that all got to the 2.5 to 3 years mark. I've seen alot around here, I've never met anyone that even kept them as long as a year.
Well you "know" me, I checked my emails, and I actually had this one for about 3 years (got him in June 2017), so I guess I did pretty good. My first warty I had for 2+ years. I also had another generic angler for about 2 years that died in a velvet outbreak.

I don't plan on getting another one. I wonder what the lifespan is. Maybe they just don't live long?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I can research, 3 years seems to be about the lifespan. No one knows in the wild.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’d like to get a warty for my new Red Sea 170 coming in soon but I don’t know how well it will fair with a Skeletor moray eel (about 8-inches long) and a Purple Tang (about 2-inches long). Am I doomed to have something get eaten in that setup?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’d like to get a warty for my new Red Sea 170 coming in soon but I don’t know how well it will fair with a Skeletor moray eel (about 8-inches long) and a Purple Tang (about 2-inches ong). Am I doomed to have something get eaten in that setup?
I don't want to be the tang police, but a 170 is way too small for the tang. He will get aggressive and likely pick on the angler who has no real defense.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’d like to get a warty for my new Red Sea 170 coming in soon but I don’t know how well it will fair with a Skeletor moray eel (about 8-inches long) and a Purple Tang (about 2-inches long). Am I doomed to have something get eaten in that setup?

Am I correct that the Red Sea 170 is 34g. I would seriously rethink your stocking plans. While a warty would be fine, you would be extremely limited for any tank mates.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New painted angler. He's in QT right now. He didn't come with a illicium. It may have broken during shipping. Apparently it grows back by it may take months.

He was eating some gambusia on the second day.

IMG_20200712_084202.jpg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct that the Red Sea 170 is 34g. I would seriously rethink your stocking plans. While a warty would be fine, you would be extremely limited for any tank mates.
Unfortunately, the juvenile Purple Tang passed away and the Skeletor eel’s staying put in the QT. The only fish in the RS170 is a neon dottyback (about 2.5”). Will I be able to keep a warty with the dottyback, if the angler’s smaller? And can anglers adapt well in a high flow tank? I’m planning on converting the RS to mixed reef in a few more months, so SPS (ie acros) are definitely included.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the juvenile Purple Tang passed away and the Skeletor eel’s staying put in the QT. The only fish in the RS170 is a neon dottyback (about 2.5”). Will I be able to keep a warty with the dottyback, if the angler’s smaller? And can anglers adapt well in a high flow tank? I’m planning on converting the RS to mixed reef in a few more months, so SPS (ie acros) are definitely included.

He will eat the dottyback if he can. Dottybacks are small.

All depends how high flow. All tanks have some lower flow areas. They can hang onto rocks pretty good but they won't do much swimming.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a anglerfish I caught in the ocean

2C66DB11-03C7-40E2-A160-35973CD5E571.jpeg F0B5C764-E998-4DF1-AB9B-B5DBBB079539.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The dottyback will eventually become food, and if the angler attempts to eat him while the dottyback is too large, you will lose both fish. While anglers will get used to high flow, what they will do is just become sedentary than they already are, they'll find a spot tucked away from the flow and will rarely venture out.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New painted angler. He's in QT right now. He didn't come with a illicium. It may have broken during shipping. Apparently it grows back by it may take months.

He was eating some gambusia on the second day.

IMG_20200712_084202.jpg

The illicium will grow back and it will likely take at least a few months. The rate is likely due to feeding and nutrients that contribute to it's growth.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back