Show Off Your Custom Metal Canopies and Stands

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't take a picture of my entire stand but this is one leg. The leg on the left is a new one to support the rusty one next to it as I was afraid to completely remove it. I did this to two of the legs. This material I used to construct this stand about 40 years ago is called "Kindorf". It is a structural support we use for virtually everything in construction indoors and out. It can also be used to support street signs so it is very corrosion resistant and galvanized. For anyone using regular iron or painted steel, get ready for the rust as steel has no sense of humor around salt water. It started rusting after about 15 years.
I just looked under my tank and see that I have to add two more supports as the other legs are badly rusted. It will have to wait a while as I just had shoulder surgery but I am glad you posted this thread to make me aware that I need to do this.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul if you could go back in time would u change ur stand? I mean what ur tank is 40 something years old and the stand is still "standing". Is this more of a warning that it does happen or an I wish I used wood?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Paul I'm right in jersey with two good shoulders if u need any help

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my stand out of some scrap C4x5.4 channel and 2" .120 wall square tubing I had. I skinned the stand with wood panels and cabinet doors using magnets to hold the panels to the stand.

IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG

Nice!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just ordered an AGE tank (36x36x16) with a black powder coated metal stand and was wondering if you any of you like to keep it open without doors or panels? I have always had wood stands so this will be a first for me. I hope I'm making the right decision!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul if you could go back in time would u change ur stand? I mean what ur tank is 40 something years old and the stand is still "standing". Is this more of a warning that it does happen or an I wish I used wood?

No, I would not use wood. Remember this stand was built about 40 years ago and it is still strong but I am leary about how long it will stay that way. If I had to do it all over again I would do it exactly the same way with the exception I would not have the bottom of the metal legs hitting the cement floor. I would have put a silicon bronze or stainless steel bolt on the bottom of the "Kindorf" leg so the galvanized Kindorf did not contact the cement floor. Remember I had to cut that Kindorf so the cut bottom part is more vulnerable to rust. It rusted because salt water hit the part touching the floor and rotted the bare steel. A stainless steel or silicon bronze bolt, which I have a bunch of would have prevented that problem.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my plan on my stand. At first it was to level the tank but now because of ur prior statement thanks again

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics from before setup. Stand is old military surplus-looks to be part of mobile kitchen. The light I pieced together from a IKEA mirrors and an old aluminum case. Ive since added a piece of distressed wood to the open area where a drawer sat

IMG_1480656040.503360.jpg

IMG_1480656079.802267.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back