Show off your fathead Sunburst anthias!

ben townsend

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2024
Messages
164
Reaction score
141
Location
Spokane
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 90 gal up and running, and I'm seriously considering getting a trio of Fatheads.. but info and pics are few and far between. If any of y'all have them I'd love to see them! And some more info of their personality and behavior would be great. Thanks R2R!
 
I have a pair. They are very reclusive. Stay in the rocks in caves. While pretty, they are kind of boring. I’d go with some other Anthias that are more active and out and about.
 
Ahhhh, thta's what I've heard. Thanks for the feedback. I do find them to be prettier than most other anthias I've seen. What do you think about that?
 
They are pretty and their shape is different than the rest of the Anthias. But not much good if you don’t see them much . :confused:
Blotchy Anthias are the same. Beautiful but always in the rocks so you can’t appreciate them. I like Bartletts, Evan’s, Bimacs, Pink Square for beauty and visibility.
 
Once I added 3 fatheads to my tank at once, they killed each other till there was only one left. Another time I kept a single fathead, and it thrived, although not such an active swimmer as the other anthias I find it to be beautiful, it would be out and about most of the time but reserved. Definitely worth it. I love all the anthias, to me they're the most beautiful fish specially in a group, but can be a challenge, they're very susceptible to uronema and some species are very picky eaters.
 
Once I added 3 fatheads to my tank at once, they killed each other till there was only one left. Another time I kept a single fathead, and it thrived, although not such an active swimmer as the other anthias I find it to be beautiful, it would be out and about most of the time but reserved. Definitely worth it. I love all the anthias, to me they're the most beautiful fish specially in a group, but can be a challenge, they're very susceptible to uronema and some species are very picky eaters.
Got it, thanks for the info! I think they’re definitely my favorite of the anthias species. What’s your favorite and why?
 
Got it, thanks for the info! I think they’re definitely my favorite of the anthias species. What’s your favorite and why?
No worries. Well, I would say I like anthias because of the shape, colors and behavior, a school of anthias is the prettiest thing! I guess they remind me more of the ocean than most species. Their shape resembles more my idea of what a fish is, also the way their body moves when they swim. Very active swimming fish.

I like a peaceful tank with peaceful inhabitants; a tang would be the farthest I would go with aggression. So, I would only care for the peaceful species and would definitely respect the minimum tank size and specimen limit.

All of them are beautiful and worth having. My favorites though would be, from what I've had, fathead, evansi, princess, sunset, purple queen and red saddled because of the colors. My least favorites would be the dispar, ignitus and resplendent, although some specimen can be very colorful.

The hardest to keep from this list is the evansi, it wont take frozen food, only live baby brine shrimp and pods. Purple queen isnt all peaceful.

From what I havent had it would be the blotched anthias and sakura anthias, but what I would really like to have is a group of ventralis anthias!!

Ventralis anthias
ventralis-anthias-male.jpeg

reefbuilders.com
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new