Show Off Your Large Tank Aquascape :)

8x3x20"

d5ebf910.jpg
 
Wow that pic above is insane idk if I that tank is a good thing or bad being that huge
 
Bump
I am going to be upgrading to a larger tank and need more ideas and inspiration:bigsmile:
 
There is one in every crowd

I enjoyed this thread and the many beautiful tanks pictured within and have decided to add my thoughts. I think these reef tanks on here are awesome to say the least! I have however always been someone that sees and does things different. (There is one in every crowd…LOL) I don’t know why but I’ve always been that way. Sometimes that works out good & sometimes it don’t. Here’s how it worked out with my tank. All the tanks I see have a pile of coral or rocks in the center of the tank (Most often laid out in a very beautiful aquascaped plan.) To my eye there is always the limit of the tank size by the necessary walls, be it glass or otherwise. After some thought on this subject I decided to flip the whole thing. Put the rock everywhere and cover the parts of the tank that seem to limit its size. (It’s size to the eye that is) To further help this illusion I would create a sense of unlimited size by giving depth to those walls and caves that seemed to have no end. (Or ending in darkness so their true depth would not be revealed) I would build my tank into a wall so instead of bring the fish into my world; I would feel as though I had a window into their world. A 2D picture cannot convey this sense of depth. The tank floor is 98†X 42â€. The rock is very deep on most of the back wall with some of it coming out as much as 36â€. I made a few more adjustments last week & still have a few more to go, but I’m getting there.
Thanks for looking
Ken

Whole tank r2r a.jpg


r2r b.jpg
 
Here's a pic of the " bones of the tree" on the right side of our tank.



We made a template of the tank on our garage floor using painters tape and "played" with some different designs before we settled on the final one. Our trees are modular and can easily be taken apart and put back together. When we were finished with the design, we took a video of the final structures as they were being dismantled to make it easier to put the "trees" back together inside the aquarium. This really came in handy when we had to pull everything out two weeks after the tank was filled due to the overflow box failure.

It looks much different now that corals are filling in. It is difficult to show in pics, but this design is very open and our fish LOVE it. Another great thing about it is there are no "dead spots" as water is able to circulate freely through out.

 
Love all of these tanks...what great inspiration to those of us just starting out!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new