Show off your tilefish!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day two with the new puppy. Eating at least 1 cube of mysis daily. Would probably eat two. 20220121_102134.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day two with the new puppy. Eating at least 1 cube of mysis daily. Would probably eat two. 20220121_102134.jpg
Very good to hear!! Looking forward to hearing your experiences as the days go on with your puppy(ies)!!
I’m excited to see how different tilefish truly are to eachother. I have the slightly “harder” Hoplolatilus chlupatyi and you have the easier Hoplolatilus purpureus. I wonder how true that actually is, I’ve kept pairs of starcki and purpureus but that wasn’t long enough to tell if there’s a difference (They got sold before the 1 month mark).

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tile looks quite healthy and eats like a pig. I wonder if the difficulty with these fish was due to Infrequent feedings, lower quality foods, and keeping as a single fish. Similar problems with anthias in the past. The pellet food is much better now and I run an Avast Plank on the DT supplemented with frozen fish eggs and mysis. My anthias are doing well. Will probably keep these tiles in QT for 6-8 weeks then introduce them to the DT together

Rick.99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several Tilefish in my tank (Hoplolatilus pupureus, luteus, marcosi and oreni). This one is my most recent addition, they get along great, no agression at all. If they weren't so jumpy more people would keep them.

Attachments

• Oreni-6 (2).jpg
    Oreni-6 (2).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several Tilefish in my tank (Hoplolatilus pupureus, luteus, marcosi and oreni). This one is my most recent addition, they get along great, no agression at all. If they weren't so jumpy more people would keep them.
I’m jealous, Oreni is a beautiful fish but the price tag on them isn’t quite so beautiful.
Apparently Oreni isn’t as jumpy as the others in Hoplolatilus how true is that?

Rick.99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m jealous, Oreni is a beautiful fish but the price tag on them isn’t quite so beautiful.
Apparently Oreni isn’t as jumpy as the others in Hoplolatilus how true is that?
He sticks more to the bottom of the tank then the other tilefish, but still I would never keep them without a lide.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sticks more to the bottom of the tank then the other tilefish, but still I would never keep them without a lide.
I wish they were more readily available and the price was closer to the H. chlupatyi’s price because then I would probably grab one.
Did having multiple fish of different species make a difference in the system or was it not much? My single specimen comes out MUCH earlier than when the other fish wake up (a good 2 hours) then when the other guys wake up and lights are on he goes down into the cave. Then after lights dim he comes out for a while when everyone else goes to sleep. He will come out to eat during lights on though.

Rick.99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tilefish are always out looking for food, they rarely hide in their cave. But that's probably not only because I have more of them, but because I have a lot of fish in general. Even before I got more tilefish my Hoplolatilus pupureus was not shy at all.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be a trait for H. chlupatyi then, but the first month and a few weeks into the second month he was always at the top, waiting for food but recently a tang and foxface feud happened infront of him and he retracted to the cave. He does come out more often though but I’m hoping to replace the Jade with either an Anampses wrasse or a second tilefish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two purples in quarantine

20220131_140536.jpg
Glad to see they’re doing well! Beautiful fish, I’d love to grab a second chlupatyi but I doubt I’d find one in spring/summer due to them being in season in late autumn.

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think agressive like zebrasoma and acanthurus tang and some wrasse should not be include in a tilefish's tank. I know a guy who have a large black tang w/th large angels and a shoal of borbonius the tile just sitting at a corner at the tank.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think agressive like zebrasoma and acanthurus tang and some wrasse should not be include in a tilefish's tank. I know a guy who have a large black tang w/th large angels and a shoal of borbonius the tile just sitting at a corner at the tank.
Yeah, these fish need a slightly more peaceful tank however they can stand up with some aggression. I think certain Acanthurus, Naso, Ctenochaetus, ect. can be in a tank with these fish. For certain some wrasses are a risk with this fish, from what I’ve found, Jade wrasses aren’t too bad with them and mostly ignore them. However I think bigger more boisterous wrasse with easily become aggressive to them.

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really talking about fairy wrasses. Its the same guy who has a mature coris on hold in a breeder box. The coris is super agro and constinuosly flashing to scared the tile.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really talking about fairy wrasses. Its the same guy who has a mature coris on hold in a breeder box. The coris is super agro and constinuosly flashing to scared the tile.
Yeah, also the Jade is a highly aggressive wrasse from what I’ve read (Not what I’ve seen). Most previous owners of that wrasse say their aggression is like an adult coris so we’ll see.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy came in today from Sustainable Aquatics. He'd been there around 1 month, was active and eating well. I skipped quarantine, as I wanted him in something with rock and substrate, with dithers to help feel more comfortable, after giving him a prazi bath. Don't mind the dinoflagellates. Started the tank with dry rock and it's a slow but steady battle to defeat them...

received_452204926596335.jpeg
received_674007077119334.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy came in today from Sustainable Aquatics. He'd been there around 1 month, was active and eating well. I skipped quarantine, as I wanted him in something with rock and substrate, with dithers to help feel more comfortable, after giving him a prazi bath. Don't mind the dinoflagellates. Started the tank with dry rock and it's a slow but steady battle to defeat them...

Great looking fish. Not camera shy!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful ! Im trying to order fishes from the US lol
I will say I'm super happy with the fish and with the communication through Sustainable Aquatics and their retail shop (CoralReefTN). Awesome customer service, great packaging, and healthy beautiful, well adjusted fish

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Loving the marcosi, if I didn’t grab the flashing tilefish I would’ve grabbed a marcosi. I really wish these fish weren’t imported at the larger sizes they are.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back