Show off your tilefish!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the marcosi, if I didn’t grab the flashing tilefish I would’ve grabbed a marcosi. I really wish these fish weren’t imported at the larger sizes they are.
I wish they were brought in a little smaller as well. But it is what it is. At least he seems to be doing well so far! He already eats TDO and frozen mysis, haven't tried other stuff yet.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad iPhone pictures but Atleast it shows his colour for once.
Absolutely no dulling in him! Wonder why people say their flashing tilefish go grey over time. Possibly something about them not flashing or being unable to flash? Or health?
03A14915-1504-40E9-ADBB-42766F775526.jpeg

0F537916-4F56-436C-A159-41364B838C74.jpeg

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I'm super happy with the fish and with the communication through Sustainable Aquatics and their retail shop (CoralReefTN). Awesome customer service, great packaging, and healthy beautiful, well adjusted fish
I'm looking at dealers to get a healthy tilefish from so I thought this was interesting. On the SA website though I didn't see any tilefish, and I'm not sure that I found the right link to the retail website. Are they not usually available, if you happen to know?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at dealers to get a healthy tilefish from so I thought this was interesting. On the SA website though I didn't see any tilefish, and I'm not sure that I found the right link to the retail website. Are they not usually available, if you happen to know?
Tilefish tend to be more of the “In/Out” fish. They appear sparatically skits not always certain when and where they’ll appear next. I have found that Starcki’s are more common and appear most of the time. If I had to make a list of the most common tilefish I think it would be something like this:
1. Hoplolatilus starcki
2. Hoplolatilus purpureus
3. Hoplolatilus marcosi
4. Hoplolatilus luteus
5. Hoplolatilus chlupatyi

There are more tilefish kept however I find these are the most common ones to own. Oreni, randalli and fronticinctus are owned but it’s much rarer to find them being kept successfully - Same with chlupatyi but I couldn’t leave that out due to me owning it haha.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a one off listed in their miscellaneous fish for sale. Their retail page is www.Coralreeftn.com

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email Reef Pro Store. They can tell you if they have any coming in and could hold one for you.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested ReefPros has a luteus in stock currently
I wish I was in America, I’d be on that in an instant. H. luteus is so hard to find here and I bet it’d look great next to the blue bodied Flasher. Same with H. marcosi, I’ve not seen one of those guys in a couple years now.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I was in America, I’d be on that in an instant. H. luteus is so hard to find here and I bet it’d look great next to the blue bodied Flasher. Same with H. marcosi, I’ve not seen one of those guys in a couple years now.
I thought about adding it to my order from ReefPros, but I already have a lot of fish and corals coming. It would look pretty good with the marcosi though. So tempting... I'll have to think on it overnight. I wonder if they'd send me a video of it?

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does reefpro ship internationaly ?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about adding it to my order from ReefPros, but I already have a lot of fish and corals coming. It would look pretty good with the marcosi though. So tempting... I'll have to think on it overnight. I wonder if they'd send me a video of it?
Do it! They’re beautiful when coloured up completely. And should do just fine with a marcosi :)

I need a bigger tank if I’m honest, I keep seeing these nice tilefish with the smallest being 3 inch but most come in as 4 inch or bigger. Think I got lucky finding a 2.5-3 inch Flashing tilefish.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look healthy to you all? Honestly, I thought luteus had a full yellow body? I sent them an email asking what it is eating and requesting a video of the fish, to see how it's behaving.

Screenshot_20220221-023132_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220221-023139_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look healthy to you all? Honestly, I thought luteus had a full yellow body? I sent them an email asking what it is eating and requesting a video of the fish, to see how it's behaving.

Actually to me that looks like a Hoplolatilus fourmanoiri and it looks healthy. They have some beautiful colours, and are an easier tilefish (Possibly on the same level as a luteus).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 3 favourites are;
1. Flashing tilefish,
2. Marcosi tilefish,
3. Purple & Yellow Tilefish(es).
i can say this list didn’t stay for long and expanded more haha. I wish I could own all of them.
1. Chlupatyi & Marcosi
2. Geo & Fronticinctus
3. Starcki, Oreni, & Fourmoiri
4. Purpureus & Luteus
5. Randalli, Cuniculus, Erdmanni & Pohle

I’d love to find a bright specimen of H. starcki but all the ones I find are rather dull. H. fronticinctus has some nice looking colours though so I may try find one of them in the future.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to see a picture or video of it with it's body nice and straight. When they have a curve it always worries me of swim bladder or spine injury. Probably not likely as these fish burrow and can articulate their bodies somewhat. Still a nice straight body pic without sunken stomach would be nice.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see a picture or video of it with it's body nice and straight. When they have a curve it always worries me of swim bladder or spine injury. Probably not likely as these fish burrow and can articulate their bodies somewhat. Still a nice straight body pic without sunken stomach would be nice.
+1 to this, I forgot to mention the curved body shape but also figured it could be the way this fish was laying.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was concerned about. I sent them an email asking if I could get a video of the fish swimming, and asking what it is currently eating. Hopefully they respond soon.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back