My favorite wrasse

CIMG3582.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my male M. bipartitus this weekend... I'd had him since 2/11/09 and he was eating, so it kinda of came as a surprise. I may be on the hunt for a trio of Potter's leopards or bipartitus...

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a beautiful male M. ornatus. No pics yet (got him in the tank around 1:30 last night and didn't want to hit him with flash after the drive down from Memphis). He's not come out yet, but I'll be watching for him:).

NotTheFace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these pages of wrasses and no Cryptic Six Lines :) I wanted a peaceful fish so I went with this one. It's hard to get a pic of it this is the best I could do.
DSC04307.jpg

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool cryptic i don't see pics of those too often....and yes that vid is of a carpenter's

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you guys to a point. Apparently the fish that where sold to me as McCoskers are not....but looking at a bunch of pictures it just doesnt match a carpenters really either. Its pretty close but some of the colors just dont match and his seem alot bolder than those in pics. Hybrid maybe? I know they are notorious for it. hes flashing like crazy as I type

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a good still picture of it i could tell you if it is a hybrid or a carpenters but the video clearly shows to me that it is a carpenters the black cadual fin (tail fin) and red anal fin and and two filaments tell me it is a carpenters....mccoskers and carpenters and yellow fins get mixed up and mislabled quite often

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you guys to a point. Apparently the fish that where sold to me as McCoskers are not....but looking at a bunch of pictures it just doesnt match a carpenters really either. Its pretty close but some of the colors just dont match and his seem alot bolder than those in pics. Hybrid maybe? I know they are notorious for it. hes flashing like crazy as I type

Wrasses are slightly different in color/pattern, depending on where they come from.
Fijian, Australian, ect. they all are a little different.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either way Im happy with him. Thanks for the heads up guys. I will refere to him as a carpenters for now on. Im still working on the still photo. Hes usually zooming around while hes flashing and every pic turns out blurry.

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are slightly different in color/pattern, depending on where they come from.
Fijian, Australian, ect. they all are a little different.
that is true but it is very easy to tell mccoskers apart from the others..and there is very little change in mccoskers some in the red on the dorsal and anal fin but not much..and a mccoskers will always have 1 filament and a red anal fin....the yellow fin flasher can have one to 4 filaments but will have a yellow anal fin and its filaments are red and carpenters has 2-4 filaments and has a red anal fin

Last edited:

addicted4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some awesome looking Wrasses everyone.

I have a few in my 180G

My Leopard
wrasse_leopard03.jpg

wrasse_leopard02.jpg

Mystery
mystery01.JPG

Super Male Hawaiian Flame
wrasse_flame06.jpg

wrasse_flame01.jpg

Tamarin

tamarin_wrasse02.jpg

Oh yeah I'm a wrasse man !!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back