Here’s my Evo, love the tank !
43F81080-75A6-41ED-90E2-1A62E1836E04.jpeg

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you running the AI Prime on this tank, how much does the light spill over either side? I need to know while negotiating the spec of the new tank I'm planning!

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you running the AI Prime on this tank, how much does the light spill over either side? I need to know while negotiating the spec of the new tank I'm planning!
A good amount of excessive light spills out at its about 170 degrees. You can get a 3d printed diffuser or light shade. 3DReefing sales diffuser and ludnix here on the forums in the 3d printed items in the marketplace sales light shades that reduces amount of light spill. I have the light shade on my evo. Works well, not as good as a full canopy but now I can enjoy my living room in the evenings and nights.

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good amount of excessive light spills out at its about 170 degrees. You can get a 3d printed diffuser or light shade. 3DReefing sales diffuser and ludnix here on the forums in the 3d printed items in the marketplace sales light shades that reduces amount of light spill. I have the light shade on my evo. Works well, not as good as a full canopy but now I can enjoy my living room in the evenings and nights.
That's very helpful, thanks. Does a diffuser work as well as a shade? I think I could get a diffuser over here but can't see any shades available in the UK.

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very helpful, thanks. Does a diffuser work as well as a shade? I think I could get a diffuser over here but can't see any shades available in the UK.

Yeah, the diffuser has the shade part and a diffusing filter that blends the light more. It eliminates the disco effect the prime puts when the leds are on at specific ratio.

ludnix here on the forums makes and sales the light shade. I got one custom made from him at the normal price. It states in the post to PM him about international shipping. Here is think to his thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ai-prime-hd-light-shade.615720/

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the diffuser has the shade part and a diffusing filter that blends the light more. It eliminates the disco effect the prime puts when the leds are on at specific ratio.

ludnix here on the forums makes and sales the light shade. I got one custom made from him at the normal price. It states in the post to PM him about international shipping. Here is think to his thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ai-prime-hd-light-shade.615720/
Done, thank you!

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am just starting up a build with this tank, and I am curious what people are using for media in the intank media baskets. The current plan is: Basket 1: Filter pad, chemi-blue, purigen Basket 2: Marinepure gems

I'm not totally sold on running purigen with chemi-blue as it seems redundant, but I'm not sure what else to put in there.

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of making a basket from egg crate, and just using filter floss, carbon and purigen. I'm curious to know whether you get any waterfall type noise as the water flows from the main display into the back?

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking about all the lighting options. Those of you with the current orbit led, is there any way that would fit by removing just the lighting part of the hood, rather than the whole thing?

waterwatereverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exploring all the lighting options, especially since my wife has had a good look at the tank online, and rather likes the hood!! And I agree really. But I really want to have some control over the lighting. Are there any controllable strip lights I could add under the hood? Or, I've seen a video of the current marine strip sitting under the hood, but the legs lift up the hood. Is it possible to neatly cut the hood so the legs fit? Thank you! :)

Darwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exploring all the lighting options, especially since my wife has had a good look at the tank online, and rather likes the hood!! And I agree really. But I really want to have some control over the lighting. Are there any controllable strip lights I could add under the hood? Or, I've seen a video of the current marine strip sitting under the hood, but the legs lift up the hood. Is it possible to neatly cut the hood so the legs fit? Thank you! :)
I suggest losing the hood as it traps heat and raises water temp. I believe they have mesh kits on Amazon that you DIY. Then you alter to where it works with the lighting placement. This is just from my experience, summer days the water would rise to almost 84-85. Back then I just cut an egg crate sheet and placed it on top and set the stock light on it. This helped keeping the temp down. I’ve upgraded lights since then but kept the egg crate since it worked well with some tad alterations.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank what light are you running?
I read further on cheers . Are you still running this tank with stock lighting. I ask because my bubble tips (reds) are not happy 1 has totally gone pale and hiding and the other has just got alot smaller than before. I didnt know if the stock light was man enough. I found a forum where someone has done par readings on the stock light and they are over 200 par. And about 110 on the bottom surely it would move towards more light if it wasn't in enough. This is my tank now this big nem has been in for 3 weeks now. 1st pic is the day after I put it in the 2nd was yesterday and the 3rd is my red bta not looking it's best.
Screenshot_20190827-163640_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190827-163122_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190827-163039_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Robg139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of making a basket from egg crate, and just using filter floss, carbon and purigen. I'm curious to know whether you get any waterfall type noise as the water flows from the main display into the back?
No waterfall sound I have bought the in tank chamber, running filter floss then chemipure, then purigen. Second chamber modified to be a refugium. With cheato and marine pure block at the bottom. Works fantastic.

tomd_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190607_140521.jpg
this is my one it's all stock except for I added a powerhead and a blue led strip.

Screenshot_20190702_133851_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Are you still using stock sponge and filtration setup? Also do you have a skimmer? Struggling to decide on my new tank wether to change the flirtation setup and do away with a skimmer or add it

Reefanatic24/7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using stock sponge and filtration setup? Also do you have a skimmer? Struggling to decide on my new tank wether to change the flirtation setup and do away with a skimmer or add it
I haven't set the tank up yet but I plan on running everything stock and making a diy media basket out of egg crate for the 1st chamber and later on, a fuge for the 2nd chamber. I'll post updates as soon as I get the tank up and running :)

TB Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have passed the 1 year mark! I started our Evo October 2nd, 2018 originally just to keep some saltwater fish for my kids. It turned into a reef tank after reading forums like this one and seeing what coral was out there these days. It has been a fun and challenging year. I bought a lot of things that I don’t use anymore, made upgrades to the tank that I would recommend and some that I wouldn’t recommend...I also ran a ULN tank and fought Dinos for a month this summer only to come out smarter than before (no ULNS anymore). Then in early September my ATO/1st chamber malfunctioned and it dumped 2 gallons of freshwater in my tank before I came home. It flooded the wood floors and dropped my salt from 1.026 to 1.020. Luckily I only lost 1 of my corals and no fish. As of now the tank is doing great and it has been fun watching the coral grow from small frags. I would love to get a bigger tank someday but this tank is special, when I bought it the fish store guy said small tanks were tough and most people failed, which is probably why I have worked hard to succeed with this tank. With that said I know if it did fail I would start over and redo some of the aquascape and coral now that I know a few things. Anyway, for any newbies out there stick with it!

88239AC8-1668-41A7-93B5-58271E03124E.jpeg 390C4AFC-919D-47A6-9CFA-9D087DAC2C65.jpeg

Russelm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people swap out the stock light immediately and is it necessary?

What can the stock light sustain?

I'm in the market for a new nano tank and leaning towards the Evo. Is this the best tank for the money cause I see a lot of modifications going on?

TB Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people swap out the stock light immediately and is it necessary?

What can the stock light sustain?

I'm in the market for a new nano tank and leaning towards the Evo. Is this the best tank for the money cause I see a lot of modifications going on?
I have purchased a lot of things for this tank and after about 15 months I have found the following is all I use:
Sicce 1.0 pump to replace stock pump
Filter floss
Bio filter media
Tunze ATO
Jebao SOW-4 wavemaker
Jebao dosing pump
Cobalt 50 watt heater
AI Prime lights to replace stock lights
Desktop UV light since I had run my tank too clean and had dinos this past summer. I just keep it on now.
I don’t use any of the media baskets I bought or the skimmer. I have tried a handful of different wavemakers and Jebao is the best for the price IMO

I know others have had some Success with stock lights but I really like the Prime lights with the coral.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back