show your fluval evo 13.5

Leo.LA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have 2 stuff to measure the temperature of my tank. Both are pretty cheap. One is a digital thermometer I bought from Amazon for $7.00 with a lot of reviews. The second one is a 2 in 1 Hydrometer with Thermometer from Petco for $4.00

2425723-center-1.jpg

61TBi2I5OrL._SL1000_.jpg

I have an old 50W heater from Aqueon and should be able to warm my Fluval 13.5g since it says up to 20g. I set the heat to about 76f because I want to have a 75-80f temp (Ideally 76-78f) and I heard the stock light from Fluval might overheat the tank.

71eOUuCXpzL._SL1500_.jpg

Now, my dilemma is that the two thermometers are having different readings. The digital thermometer says my tank is at 80-81f (about 27.1c) but the 2 in 1 hydrometer/thermometer says it's about 25c or 77f.

I don't know which one to believe. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to measure temp accurately? I'm willing to buy a better instrument but I'm looking for something that is not super expensive.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those digital thermometers aren’t very accurate. I can guarantee you that if you bought 10 and stuck the probes in the same tank they’d all read different temperatures. I know because I tried it a few years ago.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those digital thermometers aren’t very accurate. I can guarantee you that if you bought 10 and stuck the probes in the same tank they’d all read different temperatures. I know because I tried it a few years ago.
Is there any you'd recommend?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any you'd recommend?

I never found any of that type reliable. I use a standard glass one for my salt water mixing and a D-D Dual Temperature Controller on my tank. The glass one agrees with it when I’ve tested so I‘m happy.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never found any of that type reliable. I use a standard glass one for my salt water mixing and a D-D Dual Temperature Controller on my tank. The glass one agrees with it when I’ve tested so I‘m happy.
Do you find it helps keep the temperature more stable than just replying on the heater?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I‘m not that bothered. I don’t think the ocean is one fixed temperature 24/7. I think I left it on the default setting it came with which was a 0.3 degree difference. So if it drops 0.3 of a degree then it turns the heater on and if it raises 0.3 of a degree it turns my fans on. I’m using a titanium heater which doesn’t have a built in thermostat.

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with a inTank chamber one basket what did you do to reduce the water noise? Mine makes a constant loud dripping noise as it filters through my filter floss. I don't ever remember having this problem before.

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little growth in the tank. I think I need to crack up the live rock into smaller pieces to create more depth and frag the over grown areas

Attachments

• IMG_6621.MOV
    21.4 MB

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing everyone's various sump set ups I've been trying to figure out a way to utilise the full length of chamber 1 & 2. I've mocked up something from some cardboard that will sit in chamber 1 and house mechanical filtration, with biological going in chamber 2 in a basic egg crate basket. I'll be cutting out a bigger opening between the first 2 chambers at the top to make sure the flow is good enough to stop the chambers draining.
What are your opinions on this??
IMG_20200222_135832.jpg
IMG_20200222_140025.jpg

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. Do you have an aftermarket pump in chamber 3? I upgraded mine which means it drained quicker than before in chamber three and had to modify ports in one and two. You might have to seal the back wall more in one and two because water from the DT seeps in and that would cause the water to not flow over the top of one.

After seeing everyone's various sump set ups I've been trying to figure out a way to utilise the full length of chamber 1 & 2. I've mocked up something from some cardboard that will sit in chamber 1 and house mechanical filtration, with biological going in chamber 2 in a basic egg crate basket. I'll be cutting out a bigger opening between the first 2 chambers at the top to make sure the flow is good enough to stop the chambers draining.
What are your opinions on this??
IMG_20200222_135832.jpg
IMG_20200222_140025.jpg

My67rt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble with my Evo getting real hot. Heater is set to 79 deg, however when I get home from work the temp is nearly up to 83 deg.
It has to be the stock lighting, its very hot to the touch. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes I had to remove the stock light and bought a AI prime HD. The corals have been doing much better with the new light.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. Do you have an aftermarket pump in chamber 3? I upgraded mine which means it drained quicker than before in chamber three and had to modify ports in one and two. You might have to seal the back wall more in one and two because water from the DT seeps in and that would cause the water to not flow over the top of one.
I don't yet, but I will do eventually when I get a random flow generator. I will be blocking the hole in chamber 2 so the media isn't being bypassed. Did you find blocking the hole caused the chambers to drop?

Leo.LA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw a hitch hiker in my tank. I think it's a scutus snail / elephant slug. Should I remove it?

IMG_20200222_193206_MP.jpg

I read they just eat algae but also they can eat Zoas / SPS

I have mostly frags but mixed:

1 hammer coral (colony)
1 torch (colony)
1 montipora (medium)
1 red scoly
1 toadstool (small)
1 zoa red (frag)
1 zoa green (frag)
1 zoa yellow (frag)
1 ricordea mushroom (frag)
1 gsp (frag)
1 blasto (frag)
1 candy cane green (frag)
1 kenya tree (frag)
1 red war (frag)
1 duncan (frag)
1 mushroom (frag)

Sam25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4241.jpg

Here is mine Evo 13.5. This is my 2nd attempt and It's about a year old now.

I am running the stock light and return pump but I took out the foam bock and added 'in tank' media basket and just have filter floss, Chemi-Pure, some bio balls, and a heater. For flow I placed a Tunze 6040 at the lowest setting and long pulses behind the rock work.

live stock include:
2 DaVinci Clowns, yellow watchman goby, orchid dottyback, skunk shrimp, and a few snails and hermits.
Apart form the basic pulsing xenia, GSP, and Red Mushrooms; I got an elegance coral, acan, duncan, kenya tree, some sort of leather (might be a devi's hand, would appreciate if someone can identify it for me), and bird nest, chalice coral (facing away), and a mint chip coral. oh and some zoanthus down there.

Upgrading soon to a Waterbox Reef 100.3 and I can't wait! those clowns is going to love a bigger home. might do a build thread for that

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here isa pic of mine with a few changes this month. I have a magnet frag shelf now for some frags that kept getting bumped into. Media basket in chamber 1 with filter...chemi pure elite...ceramic and some bio balls...chamber 2 is some bio balls and small pack ceramic again. 3rd is heater and upgrade return pump.
20200220_212229.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back