OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you can tell . Lol
If I were to get a female , will they breed ?

I also have the other type mandarin .
E3527FA3-1684-4F6C-A37B-907CCBC81324.jpeg
I tried adding a female to my tank but the male cased her around within seconds and kept trying to hit it. Talk about abusive relationships, I removed her and put her in my other tank. I've never seen a mandarin move around so fast before.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you can tell . Lol
If I were to get a female , will they breed ?

I also have the other type mandarin .
I used to have a spotted (S.picturatus) male and a pair of the regular striped mandarins (S.splendidus) a few years ago. I waned them all to eat live tubifex worms which I was treating with a drop of selcon before feeding. The striped mandarins were periodically doing the spawning dance in the evenings, before lights off. It was a beautiful sight: starting from the tank bottom, the male and female touched with their bellies and then were spiralling up to the top. Then they would separate, swim to the bottom and start over again. I have never seen the eggs being scattered, though. I think they are supposed to release the eggs when they reach the top, just before separating.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him
To eat red coloured flatworms .
be eats them but he’s only a little guy,
He can’t keep up
In my experience they usually only eat the small ones and the eggs. I got a yellow corris wrasse to eat the larger one's and both of them together ate them all within 2 weeks. Pretty happy with the results

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they usually only eat the small ones and the eggs. I got a yellow corris wrasse to eat the larger one's and both of them together ate them all within 2 weeks. Pretty happy with the results
I bought a Mel. Wrasse , 2 six line wrasse which were all supposed to eat them .
along with 2 springeri damsels ...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried finding a yellow corris wrasse
something that used to be so common everywhere . I rarely ever see

SherieS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for about 7 months now. I never really tried to teach him to eat pellets, he sort of just started eating the TDO X-Small pellets out of nowhere. I feed my small 10g tank those pellets cause I have tiny clowns and gave my display tank the X-small pellets so that the big fish wouldn't eat everything and not give my smaller blennies food. Surprise surprise my mandarin ate them as well. Now he eats pellets, frozen mysis, and flakes.
I have recently received 2 from my brother. I’ve tried everything to feed them and one has died. Did a lot of reading and getting copepods today. Pray this keeps the other one alive. What’s the name of the pellets ? I could kill my brother for giving me something without any history!!! The 1 fish dying devastated me! Learn by your mistakes

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently received 2 from my brother. I’ve tried everything to feed them and one has died. Did a lot of reading and getting copepods today. Pray this keeps the other one alive. What’s the name of the pellets ? I could kill my brother for giving me something without any history!!! The 1 fish dying devastated me! Learn by your mistakes
I use the TDO X-Small pellets, there is another food that's basically powder and that works okay as well

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our mandarin eats exclusively pellets and is fat and happy as can be. We tried everything because the pod population isn’t sufficient in our tank. TDO for the win. There is competition for them with other fish, though we use extra small and baste them at the bottom of the tank.

Cora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO Chroma Boost pellets in extra small or B2 size. We got ours through BRS site

SherieS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO Chroma Boost pellets in extra small or B2 size. We got ours through BRS site
Have u ever heard of them being mean? One of mine died and I got another one so the one I do have would have a friend. Well I put the little one in and my other one attacked it!( Actually body slammed it on the rocks) I was able to get it out and give to someone that night and it’s doing great I heard they were gentle and not aggressive but that’s not the case with mine!

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 biota mandarines. I have had them for a few days and they seem happy. I've been trying to feed them anything and everything. This morning I put in some mysis and one of them ate it!! But then spit it out :( I see them picking at rocks but worried I don't have enough pods as I have a smaller tank. Keeping my finger crossed they live.

Question. How long doe it take before they start to deteriorate??

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of the male mandarine. He seems happy at the moment.

Attachments

• E85FAA2E-292C-44BA-92EF-B4D10DB528A3.jpeg
    E85FAA2E-292C-44BA-92EF-B4D10DB528A3.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 biota mandarines. I have had them for a few days and they seem happy. I've been trying to feed them anything and everything. This morning I put in some mysis and one of them ate it!! But then spit it out :( I see them picking at rocks but worried I don't have enough pods as I have a smaller tank. Keeping my finger crossed they live.

Question. How long doe it take before they start to deteriorate??
If they are Biota they should already know to eat pellets. That's part of the reason why they are so dam expensive. Are you 100% sure they are biota? Did you get them online or at a store?

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u ever heard of them being mean? One of mine died and I got another one so the one I do have would have a friend. Well I put the little one in and my other one attacked it!( Actually body slammed it on the rocks) I was able to get it out and give to someone that night and it’s doing great I heard they were gentle and not aggressive but that’s not the case with mine!
They are super docile with other fish but man can they be super aggressive with other mandarins. I got a second one (female) to pair up with mine and he cornered her and attacked her less than 5 minutes of me adding it. I had to remove it quickly cause mine was super aggressive

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is awesome good to know it will always have a good source of food. i have one in my frag tank he gets Elos Fresa Copepod it seems to love it
I regularly dose rotifers as well so he always has those as well. I used to see thousands of pods a night all over here glass and rocks but after adding him they all hide now

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are Biota they should already know to eat pellets. That's part of the reason why they are so dam expensive. Are you 100% sure they are biota? Did you get them online or at a store?
Bought from lfs. They are very reputable. They actually had wild mandarins in the shop which where way bigger and half the price!! The biota ones are tiny, the female is less than 1' my male is about 1.5'. I trust my lfs so we will see. He has a great reputation and I don't think he would risk it over $50. I think if you are buying captive bred you should expect them to be tiny. Which is always a worry since I feel the smaller they are the less hardy they are.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought from lfs. They are very reputable. They actually had wild mandarins in the shop which where way bigger and half the price!! The biota ones are tiny, the female is less than 1' my male is about 1.5'. I trust my lfs so we will see. He has a great reputation and I don't think he would risk it over $50. I think if you are buying captive bred you should expect them to be tiny. Which is always a worry since I feel the smaller they are the less hardy they are.
Yes captive bred ones are very small. The shop I help at gets them and they are always super tiny maybe half an inch or a bit bigger. I would try to feed it super small pellets and hopefully takes off. Or if you have access to rotifers that would also be a good food source

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes captive bred ones are very small. The shop I help at gets them and they are always super tiny maybe half an inch or a bit bigger. I would try to feed it super small pellets and hopefully takes off. Or if you have access to rotifers that would also be a good food source
Thanks.
By the way if you are every worried if your mandarines are from biota you can just shoot them an email to confirm your lfs is an official lfs of biota. They are very quick to reply.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back