Showing off my Target Mandarin eating pellets

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for about 7 months now. I never really tried to teach him to eat pellets, he sort of just started eating the TDO X-Small pellets out of nowhere. I feed my small 10g tank those pellets cause I have tiny clowns and gave my display tank the X-small pellets so that the big fish wouldn't eat everything and not give my smaller blennies food. Surprise surprise my mandarin ate them as well. Now he eats pellets, frozen mysis, and flakes.

Attachments

• 20210223_175442 1.mp4
    44.8 MB

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
I've had him for about 7 months now. I never really tried to teach him to eat pellets, he sort of just started eating the TDO X-Small pellets out of nowhere. I feed my small 10g tank those pellets cause I have tiny clowns and gave my display tank the X-small pellets so that the big fish wouldn't eat everything and not give my smaller blennies food. Surprise surprise my mandarin ate them as well. Now he eats pellets, frozen mysis, and flakes.Th
It's a win for sure!

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Do you have any aggressive eaters with it? My current stocklist wouldn't let 1 pellet fall to the bottom. LOL
All of my fish except my firefish are aggressive eaters. My fox face sticks his mouth of the water and bites my fingers for food, my blue tang will case food down all the way to the sand, my yellow corris will lift sand looking for the food and fight my other fish for it, my midus bites really hard, and my citron goby steals food from everyone. That's why the X-Small one's are really good cause they are so tiny they cant get all of them

Lizzievon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for about 7 months now. I never really tried to teach him to eat pellets, he sort of just started eating the TDO X-Small pellets out of nowhere. I feed my small 10g tank those pellets cause I have tiny clowns and gave my display tank the X-small pellets so that the big fish wouldn't eat everything and not give my smaller blennies food. Surprise surprise my mandarin ate them as well. Now he eats pellets, frozen mysis, and flakes.
Wow! He is even LOOKING for them! That's great!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!! He's fat and happy!

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video doesn't work for me, but I've gotta ask:

What is a target Mandarin?

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video doesn't work for me, but I've gotta ask:

What is a target Mandarin?
They are also know as bullseye, green, psychedelic, and spotted mandarin. They have a different color scheme and pattern than the regular one's

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if they float around just enough to mimic small pods. I just put a red mandarin in my tank last week and want to keep it happy. I have plenty of pods but options are nice.

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pellet eating Mandarin as well!
I actually bought him that way (raised on tdo)
20210202_180049.jpg

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank mates? If so, how does it compete for food?
I have 2 clowns and a Springer damsel. I turn off all flow and they eat up front in the water column. My mandarin perches on a rock and his pellets settle in front of him.
None of the other fish bother him because they're to busy catching their food.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if they float around just enough to mimic small pods. I just put a red mandarin in my tank last week and want to keep it happy. I have plenty of pods but options are nice.
I had flatworms (the brown ones that don't harm as much) that I got when I bought a frogspawn and he ate the flatworms, maybe he sees the same color and assumes they are flatworms?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back