Shrimp for a Nano

  • Thread starter Thread starter DEL 707
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DEL 707

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2024
Messages
147
Reaction score
38
Location
UK, Kent
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks coming up to 5 weeks since it has finished its cycle.
Tank occupants are a yellow clown goby, 1 hermit crab and 1 nassarius snail.
Is it too soon to add an invert like a shrimp? Nitrate is down to 5ppm and phosphate is 0.

I would like to get a fire shrimp over a cleaner shrimp. I'm only planning on having 1 shrimp in the tank.
The tank is 56l, is that going to be a factor in which 1 I can get?
 
Go for it :) They don’t produce a big bioload (could even argue it is negative). If your params are stable, your tank is ready
 
I'm regarding some conflicting information.
Can fire shrimp be kept as a pair?
 
I'm regarding some conflicting information.
Can fire shrimp be kept as a pair?
I’ve never kept a pair but I’ve always had one in with one or two skunk cleaner shrimp without any problems.
 
56L is kinda small for a larger cleaner (fire or skunk), but may be doable with a single shrimp. Smaller options would include sexy shrimp (you could have several), white spot shrimp, pederson shrimp, peppermint shrimp, saron shrimp, and similar somewhat smaller shrimp (some of which have cleaner behaviors.)

The two larger cleaners (Lysmata genus) are simultaneous hermaphrodites, so any two should be able to pair. Usually on the first day they will bicker and tolerate each other, but within a day or two they'll start hanging out together provided they're of similar size (some difference is ok.) I probably wouldn't keep two in that small of a tank long term, they individually can span close to 150mm including whiskers when fully grown.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new