Shrimp/goby compatability and quarantine

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I currently have clownfish, firefish, vroliks wrasse, purple tang, one spot foxface, diamond goby, cleaner shrimp. Want to double check and make sure a shrimp/goby pair won't have any compatibility issues.
Secondly how do I quarantine to prevent parasites? I assume the shrimp won't need to be quarantined.. do I just quaranine the goby and wait to purchase the shrimp until in ready to introduce both together?
Thanks in advance.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do I just quaranine the goby and wait to purchase the shrimp until in ready to introduce both together?

The only problem is you might not find the shrimp when the fish is ready. You could get them at the same time & separate the shrimp also until your ready. Maybe find a container that you could drill holes in it that would let water go thru but not the shrimp.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having goby/pistol pair and diamond goby will probably be a problem. Tank size may play part in it working.
I wouldn’t worry about not having agoby without a pistol ready. They seem to always find each other.
as far as qt I’ll leave that for others. Just remember pistol can carry parasite like snails. I buy from separate systems from fish then hope and pray.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a tiny watchman goby (around 1.5 inches) and a 2 inch tiger pistol at the same time. I was told the watchman would be too small to pair but lo and behold they are sharing a tunnel after less then a day. I agree with the above poster that if they are compatible, they will find each other.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody with info about the qt?

I think they would be ok to QT together if you buy them together, just keep in mind if you need to treat the fish certain medications, such as copper, can’t be used in the same tank as the shrimp.

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would be ok to QT together if you buy them together, just keep in mind if you need to treat the fish certain medications, such as copper, can’t be used in the same tank as the shrimp.
I do plan to use copper in QT for every fish from now on if possible, thats why I was asking. Thanks everyone for your replies

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having goby/pistol pair and diamond goby will probably be a problem. Tank size may play part in it working.
I wouldn’t worry about not having agoby without a pistol ready. They seem to always find each other.
as far as qt I’ll leave that for others. Just remember pistol can carry parasite like snails. I buy from separate systems from fish then hope and pray.
It is in a standard glass 125, I was hoping there would be plenty of space for them each to have their own tunnels

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in a standard glass 125, I was hoping there would be plenty of space for them each to have their own tunnels
I wouldn’t risk two gobies in that tank. You can try but will need a plan on removing one if it doesn’t work. I only have a pistol/ goby pair for that reason.

As faras I know you can not use copper with pistol shrimp. If you keep the pistol separate from any other fish for a couple months I believe the parasite will die off.
It might be worth posting the qt question if fish disease thread

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back