Shrinking Halimeda Leaves

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just noticed my halimeda is thinning out, have been blowing off some cyano off the leaves but looks like its gone now

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halimeda is pretty demanding and will -- from my own experience -- decline fairly quickly if you aren't exacting with your water standards: it uses calcium for its structural integrity, and it will die unless you are methodical with your water changes or dose.

Other species of macro are much more forgiving (and equally pretty).

OP
OP
Grapefruit509

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose, only weekly water changes, will the leaves expand again? Or grow new leaves that might be bigger, they aren't turning white anymore since it arrived about a month ago, small leaves are fine to look at tbh if it keeps growing more

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose, only weekly water changes, will the leaves expand again? Or grow new leaves that might be bigger, they aren't turning white anymore since it arrived about a month ago, small leaves are fine to look at tbh if it keeps growing more
You should be fine if...you treat this like you're cultivating SPS. Again, frequent water changes should do the trick, but it's also demanding with its lighting and doesn't put up with competition very well.

I maintained a pretty good patch in my Evo until I became lax with my own water changes...and the goby kept burying it...and the snails and urchin kept going after it. It's supposed to be invert-proof (or at least invert-resistant), but apparently many things found it to their liking.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 133 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back