Shrinking & Stretching Coral could be telling you something...

Do you take notice when your coral starts stretching or shrinking?

• YES and usually there is a probem

Votes: 168 63.2%
  • YES but I never have a problem

Votes: 64 24.1%
  • NO

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 5.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shrinking & Stretching Coral could be telling you something about your light and many more things! Zoanthids, LPS corals and other types of corals at times will contract if they are getting too much light and stretch if they need more. But what else can coral tell you by how they are either contracting or stretching their polyps or flesh? Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you take notice when your coral starts stretching or shrinking?

2. What are reasons that you have found that cause your coral to stretch or contract?

image via @Areeflover
20190412_164429.jpg

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you take notice when your coral starts stretching or shrinking?

I actually do, but to me usually means placement not getting enough lighting if it’s stretching. Never had shrinking though

I do actually have some frogspawn that has not fully open for a bit same with some GSP. But the other LPS are fully open and don’t show any issues. Wondering what that is. But I’m just simply giving some time

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice Torches stretch quite a bit if light is too low but seem invincible otherwise.

Goniopora retract and shrink in short order if I forget to spot feed them regularly. Its hard to get them back into shape when that happens and they are easy to lose.

Candy canes shrink noticeably if nitrates get high, but bounce back quickly.

GSP expands indefinitely always and forever.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do notice this, Some times its a problem some times its not.

Ive had fish dart past corals for them tp retract, depending on the type of coralsome times they stay retracted longer.

Most the time its only a few corals that you can never seem to keep happy no matter where you place them.

Other times when its most of the corals then i would be more concerned about somthing being wrong.

Also corals can have some delayed reactions, they can also be super happy for long periods and just become unhappy.

Tricky question to answer, curious to see what others say!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I notice their stretching and moving but am still learning what they r trying to say. You guys r definitely helping n that dept. We did have a Hugh, well for us, condi anemone in a well established 30 but I'm sure I watched this guy shrink into oblivion. He ate, he moved, he reached for light when wanted n shrank from it when 2 much but couldn't keep big.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely watch my corals attitudes, the frogspawn seems to be stretched out from day to day . Moving it higher and watching for 2 weeks seemed to irritate it , so back to its usual spot on sandbed..
My purple tip torch is my canary..if its ticked off I start checking parameters. Few days ago it was sulking, after a quick scan I noticed other corals weren't swaying. The Nero 3 had gotten jammed up and wasn't running. After cleaning out everything perked back up
Learned too..don't jump at first sighting..cause Mines usually been trampled over by a shrimp lol
Good topic though

darwindiaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how this topic get posted today after last nights little panic. LOL. I freaked out that my torch has shrunk really bad to where its skeleton was showing. Good thing I had some water to ready since I was planning on doing my biweekly water change. Im not sure what might have caused it but so far this morning it looked great again.

Fishpro7897

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wait and watch the corals for a day or two and if they keep acting weird then I do something.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If my shrooms are stretching and cupping it typically means the needs more light. If they are detracted it usually means they are getting to much light.
+1

This can be applied to many corals. They have their own language asking for more light, by expanding and asking for less by receding (tightening up) this could also be more flow than they like.

1. Do you take notice when your coral starts stretching or shrinking?
I would like to sit down and watch my aquarium for just enjoyment. I can't. I always ask, are they happy? Are they sick?

Shrinking and stretching will have me glued until I know why.

2. What are reasons that you have found that cause your coral to stretch or contract?

Stretching, is usually for more light, or just enjoys the water movement. Stretching + inflating is a coral trying to maximize it's surface to get more light.

Contracting is where I get concerned. This can be too much water flow, disease like brown jelly, or something nipping on the coral.
Best case is, it just needs to poop.

JKBrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zoas seem to stretch for more light and multiply in a tight bunch when there is plenty of light.

Under T5 I had a Yuma low in the tank that was about 4.5" in diameter. As it slowly moved into a darker area it left behind 5 or 6 children. After replacing the T5 with LED those same Yuma have dwindled. The original mother is about the size of a pea. They are in the shadow of a Monti now, so perhaps that's the issue just not enough light.

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_231251506.jpg
    IMG_20190724_231251506.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 100

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys mean when you say “stretch”?

I don’t really notice, because I have nothing to compare it to.

If the hammer or Duncan is closed up, then I start to worry about flow/lighting.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys mean when you say “stretch”?

I don’t really notice, because I have nothing to compare it to.

If the hammer or Duncan is closed up, then I start to worry about flow/lighting.
This is a torch “stretched out “
1B4FFD20-3C3F-4C4C-B603-52A2B571C859.jpeg

alexristaino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my zoa's ever shrink or don't fill out like they usually are I know the tank needs a dose of iodine. Next day they are fat and in tight groups again.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Duncans is the canary. If it’s not extended I watch for a couple days. Usually it does this if it’s throwing off new heads or grabbed so food flying by but once an extended closure was from higher than normal parameters and sometimes the mother clown loves up on it and makes it unhappy.

Attachments

• 4A0ADD77-7A62-4D75-B8C5-CB94734109B9.jpeg
    4A0ADD77-7A62-4D75-B8C5-CB94734109B9.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 60

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back