Shrinking Zoanthid issue - not a n00b - please help

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Zack,

As per below. What are the main factors are causes them to shrink? Other zoas are doing quite well but it seems only certain strains have this issue after a while.

Temp 28 Celcius
PH 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.1
Alkalinity 9
Calcium 420

The most common problem I have seen are people starving their corals. (0 NO3 and 0 PO4) but your numbers look spot on. Do you have any asternia stars or anything irritating the coral? Algae, crabs, shrimp etc.

-Zack

ReeferAdrian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that i can see. I do observe from time to time for any pest but there seem to be none, the only thing i can recall before it shrunk is that my UC frag came tumbling down and hit the bams bams, thats where it starts to decline. I cant help to think is it possible that it was stung by the UC? Zoas can get along with each other, so i am actually perplexed.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys water parameters?
Temp
PH
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Alkalinity
Calcium

-Zack

Temp - 78 degrees
PH - 8.1
Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate -.02
Alkalinity - 8.4
Calcium - 390
Mag - 1320

I know my nitrates and phosphates are pretty low. I used to dose nitrates because of that, but even when I did, I did not notice any change with the zoas. However, I have noticed that when zoas are shaded, their "necks" or bases tend to extend far out to get to the light. But when I moved them directly under the light in the same tank their bases shrunk again. I feel like this is a likely cause of it.

I also dose a lot of acro power, but have recently cut down on it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man... shrinking zoas can have so many variables from tank to tank!!
There are many, many things that could cause that!!
From temperature to a combination of water paras, bacterial infection, and specially a lack of stability.
It could be a combo of things too... Hard to say without be very specific on the case...
Good luck guys!
Grandis.

ReeferAdrian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lord Grandis is here! come to think about it, yes i believe mine was also caused by some swing in temperature for a period of time :( probably some zoas are more sensitive to this than others :( Whoever says that Zoas are easy are not quite true. they are quite selective when it comes to which tank they thrive in

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back