Shroom sponge?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I could only wish. No bounces in my system...
I didnt have bounce either but had those heads that looked like bounce. Again, I never did confirm what they were when i had them. . . Just thought they looked cool

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt have bounce either but had those heads that looked like bounce. Again, I never did confirm what they were when i had them. . . Just thought they looked cool
Definitely look cool.

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only takes one dormant spore.... it could have been introduced a while ago and you would not have known. On a frag, in some fish water, it happens...
Certainly can happen, but not green, different structure, and they are just staying the same only multiplying single stalk grey mushroom looking things. As well, none of those types of calurepa in our waters here. Thinking of frying them up in with some pasta and a nice chianti.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly can happen, but not green, different structure, and they are just staying the same only multiplying single stalk grey mushroom looking things. As well, none of those types of calurepa in our waters here. Thinking of frying them up in with some pasta and a nice chianti.
taste them somehow, bu wait until you get the answer 100% positive, and not to nuke your system with something nasty
How is the pipe organ is it retracting or isn't disturbed ?

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
taste them somehow, bu wait until you get the answer 100% positive, and not to nuke your system with something nasty
How is the pipe organ is it retracting or isn't disturbed ?
For some reason, the pipe organ has been doing nothing. I fragged the heck out of it as it was getting huge. Since then the two frags I kept have been doing nothing. Not growing and not receding.:rolleyes: The shoom sponges are just growing where the frag margins were. The coral seems unaffected by their presence.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, the pipe organ has been doing nothing. I fragged the heck out of it as it was getting huge. Since then the two frags I kept have been doing nothing. Not growing and not receding.:rolleyes: The shoom sponges are just growing where the frag margins were. The coral seems unaffected by their presence.
just one important think I learn about the Pipe organs, they are very forgiving, but if you stress them a bit more..., they can retract and never open again :(
1st year of my reefing I saw them, looking everywhere and only one was selling them on eBay I bought one for near $50 with 7-8 heads. unfortunately 2 hermits fight near it and brake it and after it never recover, the second one I bought loose it again because of hermit, it just was walking over it constantly.... Never more hermits for me :(
now can't find again on proper price (before just was spending with no matter what, just to have it, not can't

Really wish you good luck with the pipe organ, they are so beautiful, I love them

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that exact same thing pop up in my 210 a year ago, it looked precisely like that for about a month. Then it started booming out new growth and turned out to be Caulerpa racemosa in dormancy! I agree it is totally Caulerpa of some sort, no way in hecc it is a sponge.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that exact same thing pop up in my 210 a year ago, it looked precisely like that for about a month. Then it started booming out new growth and turned out to be Caulerpa racemosa in dormancy! I agree it is totally Caulerpa of some sort, no way in hecc it is a sponge.
Can be, just without touching it and see on person can't see it at the moment as a algae :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok ,,we need a taste test:p
edit: just ran out of images on google ;)

Last edited:

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ,,we need a taste test:p
edit: just ran out of images on google ;)
Some times I'm in the same position, even you are attaching the photo to google and google can use it as a reference, wasn't able to find something to match the photo and the OP description.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@P-Dub Does it look like it has small holes inside? I believe it could be a mushroom tunicate.
99189DAA-D50C-4A22-B5E5-40D47A14B42A.jpeg
My only guess. Otherwise stumped.

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@P-Dub Does it look like it has small holes inside? I believe it could be a mushroom tunicate.
99189DAA-D50C-4A22-B5E5-40D47A14B42A.jpeg
My only guess. Otherwise stumped.
Negative. But thanks for the input.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back