Sicce not-so-silent !! Fluval return pump upgrade?

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forums are great to share opinions so I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with sicce ‘silent’ pumps in the UK.

The first 1.0 I bought online rattled like crazy. I know vibrations can stress fish so not being keen on this I bought another 1.0 from my LFS.
Same problem. Presumed they all came like this.

8 month later, had enough of the noise. Found out they weren’t meant to be this loud and bought another 1.0 from different online retailer. Same problem!

About a month ago I had the idea to buy a 0.5 from my LFS to see if this would make a difference and sacrifice power. and now yesterday- same problem ! I have cleaned them all through this regularly.

And made sure of no bubbles like the online retailers recommended. To simply wrap this up I think they are naff, and need a better recommendation for the fluval spec / Evo .

Jake4727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have that problem:/… my powered from there is super loud unless I move the cord a curtain way. The innovative marine smart pump does me wonders. It’s pricy but definitely worth the price, and you get some customizability.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Sicce 1.0 for my small AIO nano for well over a year, and while not dead silent, it doesn't normally rattle.

I do get some irritating noise/vibration if the pump touches any part of the rear chamber's glass partitions, so I'm wondering if this is perhaps the problem?

Jake4727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Sicce 1.0 for my small AIO nano for well over a year, and while not dead silent, it doesn't normally rattle.

I do get some irritating noise/vibration if the pump touches any part of the rear chamber's glass partitions, so I'm wondering if this is perhaps the problem?
You could try putting something underneath, is there suction cups holding to the glass in the bottom?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have that problem:/… my powered from there is super loud unless I move the cord a curtain way.

Yup, moving the cord often does work for me too, but the vibration often comes back again after a short time. I've found that a slight manual repositioning of the pump while in it's rear chamber usually does the trick.

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve tried most that stuff apart, using the suction cups away from the walls etc apart from moving the cord !

I was even messing with the cords yesterday trying to tidy them up so I’m hoping this is might be it. I’m going to do a bit of sump cleaning this week so I’ll have a play with the repositioning of it.

thanks guys

Jake4727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d throw a piece of filter floss underneath it, that should fix the problem. Just make sure the floss can’t get sucked into the pump itself.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try putting something underneath, is there suction cups holding to the glass in the bottom?
Yes, suction cups are installed and attached. Sometimes It's just kind of hit-or-miss finding that sweet spot where the vibration is minimized. This has been true for other pumps that I've had over the years, too.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had the same problem too, Sicce is **** lol I'll always recommend to NEVER get the sicce pumps or the AC Red sea skimmer they are so bloody loud I legit couldn't believe I've read so many good things online and one of my LFS saying how "silent" it was...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back