Sick anemone

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rbta that I got some time in early February. Was doing great until about two weeks ago it shut completely. Just opened up again yesterday but some of the tentacles seem to have turned black. They look necrotic. Anyone know what’s going on? D7454831-95A6-4FBD-A23B-471B46953DF2.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Have you had any drastic parameters swings?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wouldn’t say sick but unhappy
Things that will cause this:
Too much water flow
Inadequate lighting
High nitrates
High phosphate
Getting battered by clowns
Starvation (feed 2x per week)
High salinity

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rbta that I got some time in early February. Was doing great until about two weeks ago it shut completely. Just opened up again yesterday but some of the tentacles seem to have turned black. They look necrotic. Anyone know what’s going on? D7454831-95A6-4FBD-A23B-471B46953DF2.jpeg
sending positive healing thoughts your way. Keep us posted.

deferring to others as never had this happen

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the BTA there is stressed, but not infected. concentrate on provide good water and adequate light, with not a lot of current. The anemone is darker becaseu it is shrinking. More zoos in a smaller volume, thus much darker.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more info about your system to really help. Anything you can tell us especially - age, size, inhabitants, lighting, and water params (temp, SG, pH, cal, alk, mag, Phos, Nitrate).

Judging by the rocks having some green film algae and NO coralline, I would say the tank is too young for a nem. It is likely still not stable, with params swinging a lot. It is not impossible to be successful with a nem in a young system, but it requires more work and planning, and is not advised, especially for newer reefers.

BTA's do not tolerate Nitrates well and require HIGH lighting and PAR, so good lights are a must.

OP
OP
N

nickp9054

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything parameter wise is normal except nitrates and phosphate. Nitrates 25 ppm and phos .5. I am gonna get some GFO for that. Tank 6 months old. Have a pair of saddleback clowns but they haven’t seemed to touch the BTA. I check salinity and it was very high,1.028 but I fixed. May have been that? It’s under high flow maybe I should try redirecting my pumps a bit.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything parameter wise is normal except nitrates and phosphate. Nitrates 25 ppm and phos .5. I am gonna get some GFO for that. Tank 6 months old. Have a pair of saddleback clowns but they haven’t seemed to touch the BTA. I check salinity and it was very high,1.028 but I fixed. May have been that? It’s under high flow maybe I should try redirecting my pumps a bit.
what are you using to check your phosphate? That seems really high.

here is a post to https://www.hannainst.com/hubfs/006...phate-conversion-table--hanna-instruments.pdf

Hanna Instruments Hl736 ULR Phosphorus Checker parts-per-billion (ppb)
Conversion to parts-per-million (ppm) Phosphate
Multiply ppb phosphorus by 3.066 then divide by 1000 to equal ppm phosphate

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they were a good brand for test kits. Calc and mag test kits I got from them the rest are Red Sea
any ideas why your phosphates are so high?

If you can get to root cause and solve there, then you don't have to treat as long with GFO or lanthamum:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tell me that your tank is not stable. Changing salinity and high nutrients.
Anemones are somewhat difficult creature to take care of. Good water, stable and good light. BTA does not need a lot of flow. More around LPS type requirement. You eed to learn fast and have a stable tank, then your anemone will do well. Do not change salinity quickly, but adjust itvery slowly over days, especially when you try to increase salinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back