Sick clownfish help!

Poorlyclownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a female clown in a 100L tank with its paired partner, a conch snail cleaner shrimp and some soft coral. Everything was going great until 2 days ago. First I noticed her right fin looked a bit translucent and possibly some grey marks to right side of body behind fin (see the Imgur link to a gif video of this). Otherwise we'll swimming eating and no rapid breathing or distress. Put it down initially to possibly coral sting or hit herself on a rock and I'll watch and wait. Yesterday her left Fin also had a patch of translucent area but again well and feeding and swimming as normal. Last night I did a fresh water dip to see if any flukes or anything came off but didn't seem to notice any change so put her back in the tank. This morning the areas are still translucent but also some white bits on the end of the fins bilaterally. No other white spots on body (hard to tell because she's black and white - but fairly sure she's clear). Still breathing and feeding as normal. (See Imgur gif link)

No new additions to the tank and all parameters normal and tank been running for around 3 months now.

Currently my quarantine tank is being used for a firefish and gobby I was hoping to introduce into my dt in 3 further weeks.

2 days ago -
Today -

Sorry for the long post but I'm a bit stumped as to whether it could be trauma, fin rot, ick or something else???

Any help would be highly appreciated!!!

OP
OP
P

Poorlyclownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic as they are moving, but it looks like just some minor fin trauma to me. Should heal up just fine given some time.
Yeah sorry ha all of my photos ended up blurry because she won't stay still for half a second haha. That was my first thought but because it appeared on the other fin too I started to panic

Nanoreefer4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have that.

Screenshot_20191021-103353_Google.jpg

OP
OP
P

Poorlyclownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are definitely always a tiny bit translucent towards the edge but this is in the middle of its fin and definitely new. Yeah it's starting to appear more like a split now and becoming more torn towards the edge now. How do you differentiate between an injured thin and fin rot?

faviasteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot usually causes the outer edge of fins to look frayed and it doesn't look like that. It could be an injury (split fin) that is infected. Keep a close eye on it and if it continues to grow, then treat it. I've had fish with body injuries which became infected (bloody looking sores or red streaks), but not fin injuries like that. Fin splits usually heal on their own.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back