Sick Coral Beauty

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Fastpitch, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Fastpitch

Fastpitch Active Member

I came accross a Coral Beauty @ my LFS presenting multiple symptoms including ich, fin rot, flashing, hiding, etc. Accepting the challenge, I took her home and immediately placed in quarantine. I began a VERY slow ramp of cupramine, and dosed both water and garlic laced frozen food with GC.

My problem of course is that she wont eat. So what are my options? Do I just wait it out at this point or are there some other things I should be doing?

2. JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp Well-Known Member

That fish seems in rough shape, so I suppose no one is surprised it is not eating. Credit to you for taking on the challenge of trying to nurse it back to health. I suppose your two options are to either a) continue a full course of treatment and hope the feeding urge will return before the fish gives out, or b) emergency-treat just long enough to measure some improvement, stop to allow the fish to begin eating again for a week or two, and then re-launch into a full course of treatment that the fish might better endure. Let us know how things work out :)

HotRocks likes this.
  3. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor

I agree with this^^^

Only other thing you could try is some non-medicated food or some live food to possibly Kickstart the eating.

If you stop treatment and the reason it's not eating is because of the ailments then it won't eat anyway. It's a double edged sword.

4. Fastpitch

Fastpitch Active Member

Sure is. I think I will give it a few more days. thanks guys.

5. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Is your angel hunting around pecking at everything in the tank looking for food?

6. Fastpitch

Fastpitch Active Member

No pecking, no hunting, no nothing. Hung some nori on a clip. Not interested.

The ich has subsided, maybe just fell off looking to attack another day. So she is looking better except for the fin rot. But no interest in food. Maybe she'll improve tomorrow.

7. Coralreefer1

Coralreefer1 Well-Known Member

In a way it is good that you are trying to bring a fish back to good health. However, this is very difficult and usually ends badly. Because of this you spent money on your fish, now have to try and diagnose and medicate with no guarantee and if it dies your out the money spent on meds and your fish.
    The pet shop should have acted to try and save its life!

8. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Have had some success by using masstick to "glue" a mix of frozen & flake onto a small rock placed on the bottom of the tank. Can use a bit of fishing line to lower the rock to the bottom and pull out when done. Just make sure the line is securely fastened to the rock so as to ensure it doesn't come loose and damage the tank bottom.
    Also works pretty good on acclimating picky eaters: Copperbands, etc.
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/masstick-fish-food-easy-reefs.html
    Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 11.48.24 AM.png

EmdeReef likes this.
  9. Fastpitch

Fastpitch Active Member

I am new to the hobby, and this may change, but I actually enjoy the challenge treating a fish more than any aspect of fish keeping I can think of. Sick, huh?

Petco gave me 15% off and I took the risk. If I get her healthy, it'll be a bargain fish. If she dies, at least someone tried.

Talking to the Petco person was interesting. It will not suprise anyone, that all their tanks are tied together. Add in rules that come from corporate and their treatment options are very limited. She showed me that all they can really treat with is a bunch of herbal nonsense.

10. Fastpitch

Fastpitch Active Member

Yeah, I heard of rubberbanding food also. I may give that a try.

Big G likes this.
  11. JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp Well-Known Member

@Big G , followed your BulkReefSupply link to “Masstick”— never heared of it before. Very intriguing, might have to try some, just for fun. Does the paste ‘pollute’ the water, similar to unrinsed cubes? Thanks for posting that ;)

Big G likes this.
  12. Big G

Try mixing with food of your choice. Works well. Lots of people use it to "glue" food to the glass wall of the tank at swim level for your particular fish. But It also works well for fish that hunt and peck around for food. So coat the top of a rock with your favorite mix and watch the fun. Depending on how much you mix and what you mix it with, it stays put pretty well until the fish finishes it off.

Draft saved Draft deleted