Sick Damsel

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel came in today like this. Gonna start antibiotics. Any idea what this is?

Screenshot_20181204-152903_Textra.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redness around his gills suggests the possibility of ammonia burn during shipping, the blotches on his sides (and recent history of infected fish...) suggest that antibiotics aren't a bad idea either. Methylene Blue (Do Not Use in conjunction with copper!) seems to help with ammonia - if you've got some NFG (Nitrofuracin Green), that's a pretty awesome antibiotic with Methylene Blue in it.

@HotRocks, @Big G or @4FordFamily may have additional insight to help save this beauty!

~Bruce

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue to follow the instructions on the three packages ... got my fingers crossed for you and that pretty Starcki!

You might want to let the vendor you purchased from about the condition of the fish upon arrival. If there's a warranty issue, it'll help cover your butt, and if there's something they need to treat in their system or tweak in their shipping practices, it'll help them make any needed adjustments.

~Bruce

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of increased O2 to help the fish breathe. A powerhead aimed up at the surface where it is actively rippling the surface will greatly increase O2 exchange and a bubble filter running will also help. And consider using the methylene blue @Maritimer posted. The fish needs to breathe so it's immune system can help it recover from the damage.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an airstone in a 10g tank with them. I tested ammonia and it was high! is that possible after 4 hours in new water? I do TTM.

Currently just have 1 airstone and metroplex kanaplex and furan 2 in there. Should I add more?

U

User1

View Badges
Methylene blue is some pretty good stuff - it is part of my fresh water dip/bath routine. As noted above Amazon is the place I purchased it from.

Edit - also good luck and hope it pulls through. Those are pretty fish and also hard to come by.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently just have 1 airstone
Add a powerhead. I know it seems like an airstone with all those bubbles looks like it is adding lots of O2 but it is a small amount compared to what a powerhead can produce/create when aimed up toward the surface so it's actively rippling the water's surface. And a foam bubble filter does double duty by both helping keep the tank clean, acting as a bio filter and adding O2. Soak the foam from the filter in some Dr. Tims/BioSpira, etc. for at least a couple of hours. Then add into the tank. It works really well to help with the ammonia problem you are experiencing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same fish arrive looking terrible from Divers den. Scales coming off and fins rotting away in the bag. I did CP and kanaplex/metro/furan 2. Fish regew it's fins but as soon as I stopped treatment...the sores opened up again quickly and I lost the fish (followed directions on bottles)... Pretty sure I should have treated longer after reading humblefish post and not ended so soon per directions.

May I ask which vender yours came from?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back