Lil’ help? Damsel missing flesh

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my damsel wasn’t swimming around. Found it like this (see picture). Still swims, sometimes upside down. Very lethargic/easy to catch. It is in a “newbie mistake” overcrowded tank, but it’s generally peaceful.

I’ve qt’d the damsel and have dosed my tank with Reef Rally Pro.

I’m guessing aggression, Fin Rot, or Uro? Do any of those sound right? Anything I can do for the Damsel?

Anything I need to do to the tank? Everybody else seems to be doing ok at the moment.

Thanks!

Queso

IMG_8218.jpeg IMG_8217.jpeg IMG_8220.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - when a marine fish loses this much of its skin and scales, the fish's ability to osmoregulate is damaged, and the fish usually doesn't survive. If you want to try and save this fish, you should lower the specific gravity of the hospital tank to 1.018 in order to help the fish balance the salts in its tissues. Then, you would dose the water with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like neomycin or kanamycin.

Jay

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - when a marine fish loses this much of its skin and scales, the fish's ability to osmoregulate is damaged, and the fish usually doesn't survive. If you want to try and save this fish, you should lower the specific gravity of the hospital tank to 1.018 in order to help the fish balance the salts in its tissues. Then, you would dose the water with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like neomycin or kanamycin.

Jay
Thanks, Jay. I’ve got some kanamycin on hand. I will give that a try. Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, fish didn’t make it. Anything I should do with the main tank? IDK if this was a fight with an opportunistic pathogen or something more serious. Everybody else looks ok at the moment. I’d already started a rally pro treatment, so I’ll at least finish that over the next 2 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, fish didn’t make it. Anything I should do with the main tank? IDK if this was a fight with an opportunistic pathogen or something more serious. Everybody else looks ok at the moment. I’d already started a rally pro treatment, so I’ll at least finish that over the next 2 days.
Sorry to hear. Even if it was Uronema, it won’t be contagious. I would just watch the other fish closly, especially for fighting…..

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back