Sick Fish in Alaska

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we have something going on in our tank here and looking for help. I'm in crunch mode on learning disease, diagnosis and treatment and wanted to share our experiences for any advice as we go.

Current situation, I've pulled 5 fish from our DT into a makeshift 10 gallon QT over the past 24 hours, 3 PJ Cardinals (one was rough and did not make it immediately), and our 2 clowns. = 4 in QT at 5ml copper currently (dosage per the Fritz Coppersafe bottle is 12.5 ml for 10g). Based on initial comms with the yall here, planning to ramp that up toward the dosage shortly (clowns just went in, 24h after the cardinals). All fish had a 3 minute FW dip in 78F RO between DT and QT.

55g tank (no sump) running for ~ 18 months, live rock, fish and coral. I have obtained all locally and have not quarantined (full disclosure, please hold comments on that until the end..). Log as follows:

9/16/23 - ~2 weeks after the tank move, we introduced a White Tail Bristletooth Tang. Not much stress to the tank, some wrasse flashing and the Royal Gramma seemed displaced but no active aggression and calm shortly after. I had also introduced a Firefish the day prior, he jumped 10/5 (egg crate top..). :/

10/20/23 - All seems well in the tank, and has been. White Tail swimming her routes and eating nori, as well as brine and flakes.

Screenshot_20231028_161902_Gallery.jpg

10/21/23 (Day 0, next morning) - White Tail found dead on the sand bed in the morning with the crabs working on her.. (??)

Screenshot_20231028_162328_Gallery.jpg

10/22/23 - (Day 1, next morning) Royal Gramma found DOA. She has been in the tank for 16 months. I noted the day prior she was hiding all day, not really common. Could see her in the rocks but not enough to evaluate. Then in the AM:

20231022_100343.jpg

Also 10/22, (Day 1) tested levels, Alk, Nitrates and PO4 high. I have admittedly been over feeding. Did not re-test this day. Have been doing weekly water changes routinely @ 5 gal, ~12%

20231022_114053.jpg

10/26/23 - (Day 5) All has been fine for 4 days, then I notice the Cardinals with cloudy eyes, less coloration, and the smaller of 2 clowns on the sand bed (maybe for an hour, then swim, then repeat). Got this pic under blues later, I see white in his black patches and can't tell if it's tiny spots or discoloration. But, not normal behavior and looks off.

screenshot_20231026_184855_gallery-jpg.3376753

10/27/23 - (Day 6), same behavior, took some videos. I begin to get a QT setup.

2 Cardinals the same day:

Later that day 10/27 I pull the Cardinals into QT after a FW dip, then added 3 (later to 5) ml Fritz Coppersafe, one fish was very rough and did not make it long. Catching these 3 was so easy, it was almost like they were asking to be netted for some help.

I attempted to grab the smaller clown also but he has energy bursts into the rockwork and after a bit I decided to give him another chance for the evening. Larger clown has not appeared to have any issues at this point.

10/28 - (Day 7, today) Both clowns are swimming in the morning before lights (DT), as they usually do. By noon the smaller clown is on the sand bed again and I proceed to pull him for FW dip & QT. Larger clown has been hiding a bit and now the eyes look cloudy to me, so I pull both, FW dip to QT. Larger clown was easy to pull, smaller clown took ~45 min (plenty of energy)....

Video from QT just now, 10/28. Larger clown first with cloudy eyes as of today, smaller clown, then 2 remaining cardinals which do not look hot.

Otherwise, all remaining in the DT act like nothing happened. Stock in there is, Melanurus Wrasse, Lawnmower Blenny, Yellow Watchman Goby + Pistol Shrimp, assorted snails, crabs, corals. Some of the corals are still angry from the recent tank move but most are fine.

20231028_162840.jpg

So, that's where I'm at. @Jay Hemdal graciously posted in my build thread yesterday, if I may quote here for the record (thank you sir!):

Not sure if a thread got started in the disease forum yet, but this appears to be what I call “stale ich”. I had another forum make fun of me for calling it that, so I need to call it something else - but essentially, this is what fish look like when they have had ich for a long period (stale).
The fish are not breathing as fast as they would with velvet, and them dying over days both point to ich.

Jay

Welcome to any thoughts..

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not removing all fish ,then running fallow ? UV for management ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not ramp copper as given disease can take hold of a fish- I highly recommend a reliable test kit for copper instead of drops/ml which can lead to overdose

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not ramp copper as given disease can take hold of a fish- I highly recommend a reliable test kit for copper instead of drops/ml which can lead to overdose

I did add 4ml (to 9) shortly ago, I found today there are no copper test kits within 100 miles of me, so I will be ordering tomorrow/Sunday AM online.

Best case late week arrival so I will be shooting blind for another ~5-6 days.

Plenty of fresh RO on hand for changes, I can reduce that way if there is a 'safe' 'estimate' for ML in 10g, open to thoughts always.

Appreciate yall.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add 4ml (to 9) shortly ago, I found today there are no copper test kits within 100 miles of me, so I will be ordering tomorrow/Sunday AM online.

Best case late week arrival so I will be shooting blind for another ~5-6 days.

Plenty of fresh RO on hand for changes, I can reduce that way if there is a 'safe' 'estimate' for ML in 10g, open to thoughts always.

Appreciate yall.

In looking over this thread, I still do think it is advanced ich. I'm concerned though - treating that in a brand new 10 gallon tank is going to be difficult. Managing the ammonia level while maintaining a full dose of copper is like walking a tightrope. Do you have non-calcium filter media that you could pull from your display to use in this tank?

As @vetteguy53081 mentioned, you need to get to full copper right away. Even then, since some fish loss has already happened, you will likely see more since copper takes up to 3 days to really slow things down.

Using coppersafe, even without a test kit, you can run a full dose - figure that your ten gallon tank holds a bit more than eight gallons of water. The dose is 5 ml per 4 gallons, so adding 10 ml would be a full dose.

Jay

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In looking over this thread, I still do think it is advanced ich. I'm concerned though - treating that in a brand new 10 gallon tank is going to be difficult. Managing the ammonia level while maintaining a full dose of copper is like walking a tightrope. Do you have non-calcium filter media that you could pull from your display to use in this tank?

As @vetteguy53081 mentioned, you need to get to full copper right away. Even then, since some fish loss has already happened, you will likely see more since copper takes up to 3 days to really slow things down.

Using coppersafe, even without a test kit, you can run a full dose - figure that your ten gallon tank holds a bit more than eight gallons of water. The dose is 5 ml per 4 gallons, so adding 10 ml would be a full dose.

Jay

Thanks Jay. I do have a Sicce Whale 120 external cannister filter running on the QT currently.

My plan for ammonia sounds like frequent 5 gal water changes with 5 ml coppersafe mixed in. WC today with that theory should bring me up to 9.5 ml (from 9), could add a smidge to get to ~10.

Wondering if the tang and/or gramma could have been unrelated to the cardinals and clowns? I figure it hadn't been long since the tang was swimming in Tahiti.. I don't have many notes on the gramma since she hid all day 0, but I assume she was under some stress as her sleeping quarters were displaced. Just spit ballin'..

Still dark here for another hour, everyone is swimming in QT. Will be monitoring..

Open to all opinions, thanks!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I do have a Sicce Whale 120 external cannister filter running on the QT currently.

My plan for ammonia sounds like frequent 5 gal water changes with 5 ml coppersafe mixed in. WC today with that theory should bring me up to 9.5 ml (from 9), could add a smidge to get to ~10.

Wondering if the tang and/or gramma could have been unrelated to the cardinals and clowns? I figure it hadn't been long since the tang was swimming in Tahiti.. I don't have many notes on the gramma since she hid all day 0, but I assume she was under some stress as her sleeping quarters were displaced. Just spit ballin'..

Still dark here for another hour, everyone is swimming in QT. Will be monitoring..

You have a small piece of rock or anything to put in the qt tank for ammonia. Anything will help then you don’t have to worry about ammonia

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a small piece of rock or anything to put in the qt tank for ammonia. Anything will help then you don’t have to worry about ammonia

I do have a few small loose pieces I could dedicate, yes - not a bad idea! I have plenty of LR in the DT with ~90 lbs in a 4', 55g..

Today's agenda thus far:
- Add an air stone (I'm not satisfied with surface turbulence)
- 5 gal WC with 5.5 ml copper mixed in
- add some loose LR
- add a few PVC elbows

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your five gallon change would need a bit more than 5 ml of coppersafe to reach a full dose. I'd just change four gallons, then the exact dose would be 5 ml. You'll want to measure that very accurately - some pharmacies carry kid's medication spoons that are pretty accurate. A plastic syringe or pipette would be better still.

Yes - it is very common to see fish losses from more than one issue at the same time, they are not always related.

Jay

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your five gallon change would need a bit more than 5 ml of coppersafe to reach a full dose. I'd just change four gallons, then the exact dose would be 5 ml. You'll want to measure that very accurately - some pharmacies carry kid's medication spoons that are pretty accurate. A plastic syringe or pipette would be better still.

Yes - it is very common to see fish losses from more than one issue at the same time, they are not always related.

Jay

I do have 5g preparing with 5.5ml dosed in (before I saw your post), I use the 3ml pipettes to measure. I do like your 4g recommendation, I may scrap the batch and go that route. A Hannah copper checker is on route, ETA Wednesday evening.

Unfortunately, while there was movement from all in the dark wee hours, the larger clown and cardinal did not make it through morning. The smaller of each are still swimming. The clown remaining was the one that had spent time on the sand bed prior and was difficult to fetch from the DT.

20231029_105701.jpg

20231029_105733.jpg

QT currently:

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 5g preparing with 5.5ml dosed in (before I saw your post), I use the 3ml pipettes to measure. I do like your 4g recommendation, I may scrap the batch and go that route. A Hannah copper checker is on route, ETA Wednesday evening.

Unfortunately, while there was movement from all in the dark wee hours, the larger clown and cardinal did not make it through morning. The smaller of each are still swimming. The clown remaining was the one that had spent time on the sand bed prior and was difficult to fetch from the DT.

20231029_105701.jpg

20231029_105733.jpg

QT currently:

Sorry your going through this brotha I hope all works out sending positive vibes....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20231029_105701.jpg

20231029_105733.jpg

QT currently:

Sorry to see. Once a disease gets a head start, it can be very difficult to stop. Glad to hear the other fish are not showing symptoms.

Jay

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. Once a disease gets a head start, it can be very difficult to stop. Glad to hear the other fish are not showing symptoms.

Jay

Thanks Jay, and I'll keep the thread updated here for closure.

I really appreciate you, @vetteguy53081 , @fishguy242 , and everyone else that dedicates their time here to share knowledge and help out other refers. It is priceless.

I did end up going with the 5g WC w/5.5 ml copper earlier, both fish are still hanging in there for now. Have not dedicated any LR yet, monitoring for now.

DT got a 12% WC today and remains a-ok.

20231029_163514.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, this afternoon I cleaned 3, 2" PVC elbows put them in, and they float... Working on finding weights while dinner cooks lol..
Glue to a rock obtain schedule 40 pvc which is heavier

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back