SICK fishies, help needed

KrautBurner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a local reefer posted this on my local board (PNW)

can anyone help?

kitsap county reefers • View topic - I need help with my tank :(
Mikem said:
Hi guys, I'm going to try to make this short.
Since i set my 55 gallon tank up it has been giving me nothing but crap as far as the health of my fish, i set it up as a reef at first, never had any problem with corals, but i had fish dying left and right from ich and velvet (as far as i can tell).
I recently bought a flame angel that was in perfect health, looked great, and it had been there for a couple weeks so i know it was eating and stuff.
I brought it home and it was doing fine for about a week and then it's eyes started clouding up, the next day they were covered in a white film, the day after that... his eyes were literally gone... I ended up freezing him, there was no way he was going to make it.
Now today my niger trigger and dwarf lion's eyes are clouding up :evil:
About a month ago i just decided to dose the tank with mardel coppersafe, the ich went away and i didn't see any problems till this eye thing.
I'm at the point where i want to just start the tank over...
Any help or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Mikem said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UeG7n93y4Y
here is a video of them

DJ_in_WV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a bacterial infection to me usually brought on by high ammonia levels. What kind of filtration is in that tank looked like a in tank box filter and seemed like alot of garbage was floating around in the tank. More than likely this is a maintenance issue causing the problem. Might want to try some antibiotics after cleaning out the tank that triggers eye probably wont be any good if it doesnt loss it

Montipora840

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a bacterial infection to me usually brought on by high ammonia levels. What kind of filtration is in that tank looked like a in tank box filter and seemed like alot of garbage was floating around in the tank. More than likely this is a maintenance issue causing the problem. Might want to try some antibiotics after cleaning out the tank that triggers eye probably wont be any good if it doesnt loss it

He posted it for me, I have two 30gallon filters for carbon and stuff, CPR bakpak skimmer modded with a maxi jet 1200, 2 power heads, and a 9w UV sterolizer. The tank is not very dirty, my dragon wrasse had just got done digging around for like an hour, lol. Ammonia was 0, nitrates 10, nitrites 0. The only problem with the water was that the PH dropped to like 7.6 somehow... I got it fixed and the trigger is doing great, can't even tell anything was ever wrong.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back