Sick flamming angel

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a flaming angel that has been in my tank for 3 months now and the past 3 day he will not leave the corner of the tank. Not swimming. Just sitting on the bottom with his barbs out and won't more from there for nothing. He's not getting picked on because he's the biggest fish in the tank and all the water parameters are correct . PH 7.8, alk350, cal300, nitrites 0, nitrates 20 small 1.021 temp 75 what u think it could be

Attachments

• 1421161818340.jpg
    1421161818340.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 289

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for ammonia? Is the fish still eating? Any heavy breathing? When was the last fish added? Do you QT?

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not checked ammonia. Fish only eats if something floats by him. There have not been any new fish added in 2 months.tank currently is a 20gal long tank 1 flam angel 2 pajama Cardinals 1 Diamondback goby 1 yellow clown goby, two clownfish 1 blue damsel. 4 gallons of water get changed every Sunday in the tank. And I currently don't have a qt

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No spots or parasites or fin rot on any of the fish including the angel

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of people have problems with flame angels because of the way they are caught. cyanide is often used and the fish start showing signs of it after a few months. maybe nothing you are doing wrong.

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do to help it along? Or just time is the only thing

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the absence of obvious visible symptoms, it's impossible to say if this is from a disease. Two diseases that can "hide out" inside the gills - ich & flukes - should still make the fish breathe heavy.

If this is cyanide poisoning, then it's only a matter of time. You would need to contact the source you bought this fish from, and ask who their wholesaler is or if they are possibly using a transhipper. Transhipped fish have a higher probability of being collected via cyanide; collectors in the Philippines are notorious for doing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flying angel came from Petco 3 months ago and there is no heavy breathing at all fish seems normal besides not leaving the bottom corner at all

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flying angel came from Petco 3 months ago and there is no heavy breathing at all fish seems normal besides not leaving the bottom corner at all

If it came from Petco, this greatly deceases the chance of cyanide poisoning. They do not use transhippers and actually do use mostly reputable wholesalers (including Quality Marine).

However, for whatever reason, most Petco SW systems do seem to be infested with one disease or another... so I'd say the odds of this being disease related have just greatly increased.

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok :( hope little guy lives. He isn't getting worse or better as the days go by with with Lanark of eating I know it's not good at all

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish are still juveniles and I have a 55 gallon setup I'm waiting for the tank to cycle before fish are moved

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me to . He has been very active up to the past few days. He had a ledge he would hide under but won't even go there past few days. I'll keep u guys posted

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just picked up ammonia test levels tested 0 in the tank so all water parameters are perfect

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update fish is eating alittle but can't float he is stuck to.the bottem of the tank. Like his belly won't leave the sand and this is how.he moves around the tank. Anyone have any ideas

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after lots of research looks like the pour guy has swim blatter disorder. And the poor fella won't won't eat the pea's and that's only way to make him better

blazend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with killerklown on this one. Adding that many fish with some of them needing bigger then the 20 gallon you will have issues. It may take time but it will set in and they will get sick from stress. I learned the hard way and fish start getting sick then get the rest sick.

I hope you can get your 55 going soon!

OP
OP
A

achiarello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well over a week has gone by just feeding the guy greens. Algea sea ad weed that kinda stuff and his swimmers blatter is all better. He's 100% back to normal and just in time a few more weeks and he"ll have a 55 gallon tank to swim in tanks all most ready. Instead of the 20 gallon

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nice way - You have way too many fish in a small tank. The Flame Angel, all by himself, needs a tank at least 50 gallons. A mature tank with lots of live rock that has bugs and algae for it to graze on. Flame Angels are very active fish always on the hunt. Yes, it's a small fish, but it needs a large tank to be healthy. You can compare it to a Mandarin - in the way that it eats copepods and needs a mature tank. Here's bad pic of mine that I've had for about three years.
IMG_1214.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back