Sick lemonpeel angel, worried!

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So worried…my lemon peel angel is a flurry of hyperactivity, didn’t eat brine shrimp dinner (which is VERY unlike him), and it looks like his skin is turning orange/red/pink? I did a water change earlier today and added chemo-pure elite which turned the water brown and cloudy (I removed it immediately and water is now clear), but those are the only new variables. Parameters all rechecked and looking good. He also had a remarkably long string of poo which may be completely unrelated but I figured I would be thorough! When a fish gets sick, how to you acquire meds? Do you bring him to the vet? This is all new to me!!!
Thanks!
-Aubz

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So worried…my lemon peel angel is a flurry of hyperactivity, didn’t eat brine shrimp dinner (which is VERY unlike him), and it looks like his skin is turning orange/red/pink? I did a water change earlier today and added chemo-pure elite which turned the water brown and cloudy (I removed it immediately and water is now clear), but those are the only new variables. Parameters all rechecked and looking good. He also had a remarkably long string of poo which may be completely unrelated but I figured I would be thorough! When a fish gets sick, how to you acquire meds? Do you bring him to the vet? This is all new to me!!!
Thanks!
-Aubz
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

We’ll need more information and a short video of the fish to check its respiration rate.
Did you see symptoms before the chemi pure?
What other fish are in with it?
How long have you had this fish?
What are your water quality readings?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks!
-Aubz
Did you rinse the chemipure elite? If not, this has ferrous oxide dust and will turn the water tea colored if not rinsed. I use this stuff with no issues.
For meds, there are various outlets such as pet stores and mail order such as BRS (bulk reef supply(, saltwater fish.com and more
Some meds to kepp on hand are:
Coppersafe - for ich + Velvet
Seachem Kanaplex - for bacterial
Prazi Pro - For flukes and worms

USE RELIABLE TEST KITS !!
Offer good variety/quality diet

Pics and video under white lighting is best assessment tool you can furnish.

OP
OP
Aubz

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning he seems better, ate brine shrimp+spirulina and a bit of nori. But this coloration of red/orange I don’t remember seeing before (but maybe it’s just the way the light is shining??). Just want to make sure he isn’t sick.
I’ve had him about 2 weeks. PH is 8.3, alk 7 dkh, spec gravity 1.024, temp 77, no ammonia/nitrite, nitrate 8 ppm, phos .18 ppm, ca unable to figure out this color against the chart but I think it’s around 450. Using the API master test kits. Tank mates include two clowns, 1 orchid dottyback, 2 snails and 3 hermit crabs. Cleaned brown algae during water change but just some diatoms and nothing impressive.
Thank you everyone!!!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

We’ll need more information and a short video of the fish to check its respiration rate.

Jay
My reply is below in the main thread, sorry just figuring out how to use this forum, thanks! Attached a photo and video!
Did you rinse the chemipure elite? If not, this has ferrous oxide dust and will turn the water tea colored if not rinsed. I use this stuff with no issues.
For meds, there are various outlets such as pet stores and mail order such as BRS (bulk reef supply(, saltwater fish.com and more
Some meds to kepp on hand are:
Coppersafe - for ich + Velvet
Seachem Kanaplex - for bacterial
Prazi Pro - For flukes and worms

USE RELIABLE TEST KITS !!
Offer good variety/quality diet

Pics and video under white lighting is best assessment tool you can furnish.
rinsed it for about a minute but it was still coming out brown… and when I turned filter on a bunch of cloudy brown stuff went into the tank! I hope that didn’t hurt anyone. I removed it, I don’t trust it.

Attachments

• D411D503-44DB-4D95-8195-37B68EAB3149.jpeg
    D411D503-44DB-4D95-8195-37B68EAB3149.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 36
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    77.9 MB
OP
OP
Aubz

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_9691.MOV
    14.8 MB
OP
OP
Aubz

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay

Attachments

• BF25A761-EC0F-4469-8811-3461863BA47D.jpeg
    BF25A761-EC0F-4469-8811-3461863BA47D.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 38

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive seen this before in dwarf angels and yellow tangs and may be a vitamin deficiency as its not hemorrhaging. In addition to brine shrimp, feed foods such as :
mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
small plankton
Marine cuisine
ocean nutrition algae diet

These foods contain needed fats and aminos and helps with immunity health.
Also add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally . This is not a flake and pellet fish.

OP
OP
Aubz

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen this before in dwarf angels and yellow tangs and may be a vitamin deficiency as its not hemorrhaging. In addition to brine shrimp, feed foods such as :
mysis shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
small plankton
Marine cuisine
ocean nutrition algae diet

These foods contain needed fats and aminos and helps with immunity health.
Also add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally . This is not a flake and pellet fish.
Thanks! Currently giving mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, nori and spinach on a clip, I’ll have to look into these other ones you mentioned! Glad to hear you don’t think it’s some kind of deadly illness

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think this is just a typical dulling of coloration seen in this species in captivity. It looks good otherwise. Watch for rapid breathing and not eating - those are really serious issues.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!
-Aubz
I would report this to chemipure's manufacturer - I drop mine in the tank - for at least 5 years - with no rinsing and no problem

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.4%
Back