Sick McCosker sub male

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i purchased this fish along with a Randall anthia and a female blue star leopard wrasse from LA ( west coast ) and they were delivered Tuesday and were in the QT tank by noon. All fish ate within a couple of hours. All day Wednesday they all appeared normal, but by Thursday the McCosker was flashing and only eating a little so the tank was treated with prazipro at 6 PM. Friday he seemed active at times and then he would hide in the pvc elbow and appeared dead, but his colors were still vibrant. He appeared this way all day Saturday and Sunday morning there was no improvement in his condition. I did a FW dip for 5 min and put him back in the QT. About 10 flukes fell off during his dip, and he exhibited heavy breathing during this dip. Then I added him back to the QT and he appears in slightly better condition.
Question 1. Why did prazipro not work?
2. Are the other fish infected since all were in same QT?
3. Anything else I can do?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the heavy mucus coat of a fish, which is not just on the outside but inside on the gills, helps to shield the flukes from the full dose of praziquantel. So the best way is to "first" do a freshwater dip first to knock loose some of the flukes. Check for evidence of flukes. Second, then to treat the full therapy of 2 full doses: Dose with Prazi. Wait 5-7 days. Do 25% water change. Dose second time. Wait 5-7 days. Do 25% water change. Then observe for 7-10 days.

OP
OP
B

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the poor guy stuck to the powerhead dead.

Why are these people selling infected fish? Yea LA will replace my fish, but with what, another sick fish.

Are my 2 others infected as well? Doing WC and another round of prazipro.

Is it safer to buy from Divers Den?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the poor guy stuck to the powerhead dead.

Why are these people selling infected fish? Yea LA will replace my fish, but with what, another sick fish.

Are my 2 others infected as well? Doing WC and another round of prazipro.

Is it safer to buy from Divers Den?

I have ordered from at least 4 sources. They all come with some sort of disease every single time. Lately I can't get a batch of fish without velvet/ich/Brook/flukes or a combination thereof.

Only safe place to buy fish will soon be Humblefish Aquatics that are disease free, and can be acclimated directly to your DT with no QT.

OP
OP
B

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pay extra for a QT fish. I am still going to put it in quarantine but hopefully not wasting time and money treating sick fish.
Is Bobby starting a retail business?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pay extra for a QT fish. I am still going to put it in quarantine but hopefully not wasting time and money treating sick fish.
Is Bobby starting a retail business?

Yes, he is. Going to be great. Can't wait till I can place my first order!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back