Sick of changing filter socks every three days

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bud, I definitely feel your pain. Your changing out your socks every 3 days is spot on right in keeping nitrates at their lowest. That being said, if you switch that out for a pad or floss etc. you’ve still got the same problem of needing to change this new media out. I have in my sump 3 - 4” wholes for 3 filter socks. I chose long ago to “not” have filter socks for the same reason you gave. My solution was to vacuum out my sump as needed. A syphon hose and a 5 gallon bucket is all it takes. Yes you can create a syphon that close to the floor. Presently, I keep Chemipure in the return chamber. As for your gfo. A media bag has worked well for me. Good luck!!!
Take out sox and mech fitration. Run a skimmer. Start a refugium or carbon dose if necessary. Gfo reactor is preferred.
Take them out completely and use nothing if you don’t like changing them every 3 days.
This is the answer. Filter socks are not necessary. Just take them out.

The heavy organics you hope to trap are likely on your sand bed anyway.

Put them in once a week when you clean the tank and stir stuff up
Hey how do you guys quite the splash without socks ? For sumps with the water going over baffle from return into sock chamber

omniphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing a single socks every 3 days, my sump however has another sock holder, if I were to split the drain to 2 socks would I be able to go 6 days? Or is the waste still breaking down regardless?

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a much much better spot now, on one of the sock's holder I am using klir di-4 and in another media cup with fiber poly fill bag. Now I am changing filter once in a month and every 3rd day quick change with fiber poly (Just takes about a minute).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back