Sick of changing filter socks every three days

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tired of constantly changing socks every 2nd or 3rd day, especially since I've been traveling more frequently, sometimes for a week at a time. I am considering replacing my 2 filter socks with 2 filter cups: one for GFO use and another for filtration. I have come across several recommendations, including Filter Floss, poly filter, Polyfil Quilt (Walmart), and filter pad.

1. I would appreciate it if you could recommend the best option for filtration and provide a link to the product.
  2. For my second filter media cup, what is the best way to use GFO? Should I use a sponge or simply place GFO into media bags and then put them in the filter media cup?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bud, I definitely feel your pain. Your changing out your socks every 3 days is spot on right in keeping nitrates at their lowest. That being said, if you switch that out for a pad or floss etc. you’ve still got the same problem of needing to change this new media out. I have in my sump 3 - 4” wholes for 3 filter socks. I chose long ago to “not” have filter socks for the same reason you gave. My solution was to vacuum out my sump as needed. A syphon hose and a 5 gallon bucket is all it takes. Yes you can create a syphon that close to the floor. Presently, I keep Chemipure in the return chamber. As for your gfo. A media bag has worked well for me. Good luck!!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tired of constantly changing socks every 2nd or 3rd day, especially since I've been traveling more frequently, sometimes for a week at a time. I am considering replacing my 2 filter socks with 2 filter cups: one for GFO use and another for filtration. I have come across several recommendations, including Filter Floss, poly filter, Polyfil Quilt (Walmart), and filter pad.

1. I would appreciate it if you could recommend the best option for filtration and provide a link to the product.
  2. For my second filter media cup, what is the best way to use GFO? Should I use a sponge or simply place GFO into media bags and then put them in the filter media cup?

GFO in a reactor. Putting it in a cup will decrease its effectiveness but also potentially pulverize it into dust or turn it into a rock :) depending on flow.

You want it to just gently tumble, hence a reactor.

You could probably do something like phosguard in a bag though.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, thanks, but I don't have space to install roller. Filter socks space is too tight
Have you considered the Klir drop in? I am actually looking at potentially getting two of them (7") for myself. TBH though, the reviews are mixed.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take out sox and mech fitration. Run a skimmer. Start a refugium or carbon dose if necessary. Gfo reactor is preferred.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Poly-fil would allow you to adjust the density as desired which will fix your issue. Carbon/GFO can go in a media bag and be suspended near the bottom of your cup with Poly fil on top.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this problem.
Used

Jecery Pcs Filter Socks 4 Inch 3D Honeycomb Design Filter Sock 4 Inch Ring by 11.Jecery Inch Long Saltwater Aquarium Filter​

They come in many lengths, never totally plug up.

Now I change only every two weeks.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The point of changing the socks every couple days is to remove matter before it breaks down and releases nutrients. If you put something there that takes longer to clog, and now you change them say… weekly, you are defeating the point of using socks at all. That’s the problem with mechanical filtration.

If you really want to do that, and can’t use a roller filter, I would setup AWC to compensate.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of changing the socks every couple days is to remove matter before it breaks down and releases nutrients. If you put something there that takes longer to clog, and now you change them say… weekly, you are defeating the point of using socks at all. That’s the problem with mechanical filtration.

If you really want to do that, and can’t use a roller filter, I would setup AWC to compensate.
This is true. Most likely a problem if one is inconsistent with the timing of sock changes (the tank never adjusts).

Sometimes, though, the socks are used more for water clarity than as a means of controlling nitrates and less frequent changes might be o.k., so long as the water stays clear. In fact, I would say it is better to change the socks regularly every two weeks, than to tell yourself you will do it every three days and end up doing it totally willy nilly.

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, hate washing them and the whole process is very time-consuming. I am looking into Di-4 V2 as well, however would prefer a simple solution like a media cup. Need recommendation on what I can use for Filteration in Media Cup.

Btw I already have AWC

OP
OP
J

jaychoudhary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Poly-fil would allow you to adjust the density as desired which will fix your issue. Carbon/GFO can go in a media bag and be suspended near the bottom of your cup with Poly fil on top.
Poly-fil - Do you have a link I can have a look at ? And is Poly-fil better than filter floss.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why the link came out like that lol, but it's the correct link.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back