Sick porcupine puffer at LFS

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one LFS within an hour of me and haven't been there in a while. It typically has been well ran the staff seemed pretty knowledgable and the animals cared for as needed. This time when I went in I observed several fish with sunken bellies and two blue tang with velvet. One was obviously not going to make it much longer and the other was covered pretty bad but still moving around. Then I saw a porcupine puffer that was sitting on the bottom of the tank that had a very sunken belly. It looked pitiful and was occasionally going through the substrate searching for food it seemed.

I am only a beginner but have researched for months and prepared for a lot of possibilities. I currently have 2 cycled 10 gallon quarantine tanks with fish in them that are thriving so far. I also have a 20 gallon thats empty. One has been in 3 weeks the other has been in 2 weeks. I hadn't planned on getting a porcupine puffer because my DT is 125. I felt really bad for the little guy. He was about 5 inches long. I would like to try to rescue him but it might be over my head and technically i don't have the proper tank size but I thought it might be a better situation than he's in. I do have the capability of upgrading tanks in the future. I am just not sure what to do. I could cycle the 20 gallon from my other tank and have it ready for quarantine in a short time if he even has that long.

I guess what Im asking is should I even try to do this as I would be supporting the store that doesn't have good conditions or should I try to save him even though the situation isn't ideal right now? I dont see any visible things wrong with him except for the sunken belly which could be from being underfed or parasites but Im by no means even moderately knowledgable about this disease stuff. Just couldn't help but feeling bad. We have rescue animals here and I guess im just becoming an old softy but it really bothers me to think something is being starved or mistreated.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First let’s say #WelcometoR2R

I would start right off by saying it would be best not to get him. There are a few reasons. The puffer does not sound like an emergency issue as much as a better quality of care issue. I saw you other thread, it sounds like you have things running good so I would focus on them for now.

Also we should think about what plans you have for your DT. You are aware of their size, but there are other reasons they can’t go into reefs. Need to think about tank mates and coral.

Unfortunately we all see things at LFS that we don’t want to. We can’t save everything. But you did the right thing. Stop by the meet and greet section or member tank for a build badge if you like so we can get to know you if you like.

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right about it. I knew it I just needed someone to confirm it to make feel better about it. Everything cant be saved is a very true statement if you go into very many fish stores. Thanks for the reply.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back