Sick Rose BTA

mike_jorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone last week, and it looked great for the first 4-5 days. I noticed my clownfish showing more interest recently (he was sucking on a tentacle- he hasnt bonded yet, but he is very interested), and after that event, the RBTA started looking like this.

It opens its mouth really wide and lets something come out, then it jsut lays there.

My LFS guy said sometimes they do that since that is how the excrete the waste, but it laying on its side is what is worrying me.

Did it the first time yesterday, then looked better today, now it is doing the same thing.

Any thoughts?

RBTA.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone last week, and it looked great for the first 4-5 days. I noticed my clownfish showing more interest recently (he was sucking on a tentacle- he hasnt bonded yet, but he is very interested), and after that event, the RBTA started looking like this.

It opens its mouth really wide and lets something come out, then it jsut lays there.

My LFS guy said sometimes they do that since that is how the excrete the waste, but it laying on its side is what is worrying me.

Did it the first time yesterday, then looked better today, now it is doing the same thing.

Any thoughts?

RBTA.jpg
What are your parameters, lighting, how was it acclimated, and how old is the tank?

OP
OP
mike_jorg

mike_jorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is 8.0, ammonia nitrite nitrate are all 0, calcium is 440, carbonate is 8 and phosphate is .25 (already working on getting that down). Temp is 77.

It’s a 30 gallon with T5’s for lighting.

Tank just turned 1 year.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the clown in relation to the anemone?
Anemones do deflate and inflate routinely, gaping is common for newer anemones as well.

OP
OP
mike_jorg

mike_jorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown is still relatively small. Id say 1.5-2". Just took this pic.

I guess when I thought "inflate and deflate", I thought it meant that they would open and close or that the tentacles would inflate and deflate. The whole thing has drooped and looks like its hanging on by just the foot probably 3x.

I just noticed something else while I was taking this pic. Would love some insight on it as well. Looks like something has happened to my war coral over night. If I had to guess, I would say the peppermint shrimp are eating it.

I thought peppermint shrimp were reef safe?

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

OP
OP
mike_jorg

mike_jorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look at the right side of the anemone's mouth. For the last couple days it has looked like a piece of leftover shrimp, but now it looks more like a contusion of some sort. Could that be an issue?

ReefersDirect

Reefers Direct
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are the favites issue is because of peppermint shrimp.
Although true peppermint shrimp are fairly reef safe most of the time its a different species that is sold at stores

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, peppermint shrimp definitely are hit or miss. More than often, they will acquire a tase for LPS and Anemones. I would remove personally. The Anemone may just be getting acclimated to the tank yet. As long as the foot is still holding on and their is no guys coming out. You are winning the battle.
-Zack,

OP
OP
mike_jorg

mike_jorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zack!

He pops back up every time I turn the lights on, so he seems alright. Every night I get worried though, because he just deflates and hangs there through the night. It reminds me of a dying rose.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zack!

He pops back up every time I turn the lights on, so he seems alright. Every night I get worried though, because he just deflates and hangs there through the night. It reminds me of a dying rose.
mine all deflate as the lights get dimmer. by the night time my 8+ inch btas are less than 2-3 inches

Blockwood15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a peppermint shrimp eat 2 of my acan colonies. Caught them in the act and gave them away. Was able to catch using a bottle trap.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RBTA looks fine to me.. how often do you feed and what are you feeding it? If it does this right after you feed then it’s just “pooping”..

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back