Sick Tailspot Blenny

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, been a while!! So I'm running a 32 Gallon Biocube (been up for a year and 2 months now) 2 Clowns, a paired yellow watchman hobie and tiger pistol shrimp, a blood shrimp and peppermint shrimp along with some astrea snails, 1 turbo and some hermit crabs. I got a Tailspot Blenny from a reputable LFS about 3 months ago. He was doing quite well. I noticed a few weeks ago he was looking skinny and started paying close attention to him at feeding time. He would still sometimes nibble at the food (I regularly feed, brine shrimp w/spirulina, blood worms and regular brine shrimp). I've also noticed he has mostly stopped grazing on the rock/glass.

Yesterday I lost sight of him and though maybe he died (I know his hiding spots) but found him late at night at the back of the tank, looking not healthy. I've since moved him to quarantine and put some food in, but he seems to have no interest in eating at all. He also to slightly tilt over at times. Tank parameters:

PH - 7.9
Ammonia - .0.0
Nitrate - 17ppm
Nitrites - .001

I'll attach some pictures and video for reference as well. One of the tank and a video of the Blenny and pic of the Blenny as well.

I'd really appreciate any help. I'd like to save him if I can!

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Pic:

Attachments

• IMG-20220130-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220130-WA0002.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 73

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably stress aggression related or internal parasite. Maybe try some metroplex with focus and garlic. To treat internally.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there a particular item I can get? Do you mind sending me some images of what to look for?

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect something internal then this is an option.
Unfortunately nothing local for this.... Not on Amazon and nothing at my LFS, do you happen to know of a similar product, or group of products? I'm hoping for quickest turn around I can get. Not sure how long this little guy will last

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately nothing local for this.... Not on Amazon and nothing at my LFS, do you happen to know of a similar product, or group of products? I'm hoping for quickest turn around I can get. Not sure how long this little guy will last
I got it on Amazon. I've used the below also to help with fish immune system.

Attachments

• 20220130_101629.jpg
    20220130_101629.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220130_101644.jpg
    20220130_101644.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it on Amazon. I've used the below also to help with fish immune system.
I use vita Chem already, I soak all the frozen food and sometimes the pellets I use in it.

The biggest problem is he doesn't even seem interested in eating, like at all...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, been a while!! So I'm running a 32 Gallon Biocube (been up for a year and 2 months now) 2 Clowns, a paired yellow watchman hobie and tiger pistol shrimp, a blood shrimp and peppermint shrimp along with some astrea snails, 1 turbo and some hermit crabs. I got a Tailspot Blenny from a reputable LFS about 3 months ago. He was doing quite well. I noticed a few weeks ago he was looking skinny and started paying close attention to him at feeding time. He would still sometimes nibble at the food (I regularly feed, brine shrimp w/spirulina, blood worms and regular brine shrimp). I've also noticed he has mostly stopped grazing on the rock/glass.

Yesterday I lost sight of him and though maybe he died (I know his hiding spots) but found him late at night at the back of the tank, looking not healthy. I've since moved him to quarantine and put some food in, but he seems to have no interest in eating at all. He also to slightly tilt over at times. Tank parameters:

PH - 7.9
Ammonia - .0.0
Nitrate - 17ppm
Nitrites - .001

I'll attach some pictures and video for reference as well. One of the tank and a video of the Blenny and pic of the Blenny as well.

I'd really appreciate any help. I'd like to save him if I can!

Sorry - when a fish reaches a certain point in starvation, you can't bring them back. What happens is fish don't store much fat for energy. When they go off feed, their body then uses their liver for food energy. Even if you could get the fish to start feeding again, its liver is likely too far gone.

The question is - why did it go off feed? Two possibilities come to mind: it may have eaten all available algae in the tank (but this happens more with lawnmower blennies). Another possibility is that the fish was collected with cyanide. This can cause long term damage to the fish, which in turns causes latent mortality 4 to 8 weeks after collection.

Jay

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Poor little guy is fighting, but it looks like he's currently on his last legs unfortunately

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some garlic on the food. Give him a freshwater dip just in case it's something external that you can't see.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's gone. Poor little guy.

RIP Blaze, you will be missed!

Back