Sick to my stomach, lost all fish overnight

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry for your loss. I just loss four fish in QT overnight. I forgot to turn their powerhead back on after feeding. It is the worst feeling... :(

OP
OP
ithk21620

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally had a chance to test the water today, I know numbers are probably a bit skewed because of the timeframe between the losses and today but it was opening weekend of hunting and my sons first year so I had priorities :)

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: ~10

There are still two fish that couldn't be found or removed so I am not surprised by the results at all.

I realized my skimmer was actually not running so I am starting to lean towards the lack of 02 being the culprit but I may never know.

I have not heard anything back from Prodibio yet so I have nothing to report there.

Going to go without fish for a little while and keep checking the numbers. All the inverts are fine

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us posted, and sorry to hear of your lost, this is all of our fear!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: ~10

This points to an ammonia spike. Your bio filter has worked it down to nitrite by this point, but the ammonia was definitely there.

OP
OP
ithk21620

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever hear back from Prodibio about your lot number

This is what they said:

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier.

During the last exchanges, the batch has been analyzed by our R&D department and has not shown any unusual results. Also, your feedback is the first we have received on this batch which production has been made 1.5 year ago and sold to many users from that date. This lapse time is also of course enough to keep a fresh and active product into a vial.
In the worst scenario of a “bad” Biodigest, the bacteria would have been dead and nothing would have happened. Of course this is only theory as there are millions of alive bacteria in each vials. It has never happened in reality.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back