Silencing single drain overflow

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally started up my tank and sump last night and for the most part it has been going pretty well. I am using a varios 6 return pump along with a lifereef single output overflow. Its attached to regular 1' pvc rather than tubing so not much pressure loss. Problem is that it is noisy where the water enters the actual drain pipe of the overflow. If I go to turn it up to level 2.. ( of 5) (max level I've gotten it so far) it starts to pull a lot of water in from the return pump and I seem to get massive amounts of bubbles in the display. It also creates massive gurgling sound that I feel is the end of my tanks life so I tend to keep it down on 1. What can I do? I was looking into DIY either durso, or stockman standpipes, and even the hofer gurgle buster and just am really stuck right now. I dont have much room for a durso, so am leaning towards the hofer yet the website is no longer active. I suspect my pipe is 1 inch on the inside.. just confused if I would go larger or smaller inside?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, as I have a similar issue with my Eshopps PF300

JeffT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a Stockman Standpipe for my PF800 and it's pretty quite. I'll take a picture of it when I get a chance.
Lifereef makes a Silencer for their prefilters as well as Eshopps and others too. Much simpler design than the Durso or any others. Easier to remove, clean, reinstall vs those others that have many parts, the Lifereef Silencer has three parts: Pipe, Cap, Hose.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back