Silent Return Pump Suggestions

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a dead silent to nearly silent return pump that pushes 550gph at 4ft of head pressure. I am having nothing but issues with my sicce syncra sdc 6 and can hear it through the floor and walls. The pump is not touching anything in the sump. I expected the sicce would be quiet, but at 29% the pump db is 57db. Sicce is sending a new impeller in hopes that resolves the issue. If not, I want to start researching other options.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently bought a Reef Octopus Varios-2, as I was looking for something with roughly the same GPH as you are.

Since it's DC, I just turn it down a bit. To my surprise it is dead silent. I can hear the sicce pump from the skimmer over it. Which I previously thought was pretty quiet.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried a silicone pad between the pump and sump bottom? Also wondering if there is any sort of pad between your sump and the bottom of the stand.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are soft silicone feet on the pump so opted to not go with a pad between the pump and sump. The sump and stand does not have a pad, but the noise is present even when the pump is dangling and not touching anything. The vibrations go right up the plumbing too. Which I am sure does not help.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, ok. Is this hard plumbed with PVC? You could try switching to flex tubing between the pump and return fittings on the bulkheads that feed the returns.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is flexible from the pump to the bulkhead on the sump then hard for the manifold with the manifold attached to the sump bulkhead. Followed by soft from the manifold to the tank.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is flexible from the pump to the bulkhead on the sump then hard for the manifold with the manifold attached to the sump bulkhead. Followed by soft from the manifold to the tank.
What kind of flexible connection from Pump to Bulkhead? From my experiences, Silicone hose will greatly reduce noise and vibration.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flexible connection from Pump to Bulkhead? From my experiences, Silicone hose will greatly reduce noise and vibration.
Vinyl, but I am open to spending the $10 for silicone from brs

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a meter of silicone tubing on amazon for $13. Will give that a try.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for both of your help!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back