Silent Return Pump Suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpyC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
Messages
1,557
Reaction score
1,228
Location
MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a dead silent to nearly silent return pump that pushes 550gph at 4ft of head pressure. I am having nothing but issues with my sicce syncra sdc 6 and can hear it through the floor and walls. The pump is not touching anything in the sump. I expected the sicce would be quiet, but at 29% the pump db is 57db. Sicce is sending a new impeller in hopes that resolves the issue. If not, I want to start researching other options.
 
Just recently bought a Reef Octopus Varios-2, as I was looking for something with roughly the same GPH as you are.

Since it's DC, I just turn it down a bit. To my surprise it is dead silent. I can hear the sicce pump from the skimmer over it. Which I previously thought was pretty quiet.
 
have you tried a silicone pad between the pump and sump bottom? Also wondering if there is any sort of pad between your sump and the bottom of the stand.
 
There are soft silicone feet on the pump so opted to not go with a pad between the pump and sump. The sump and stand does not have a pad, but the noise is present even when the pump is dangling and not touching anything. The vibrations go right up the plumbing too. Which I am sure does not help.
 
ah, ok. Is this hard plumbed with PVC? You could try switching to flex tubing between the pump and return fittings on the bulkheads that feed the returns.
 
There is flexible from the pump to the bulkhead on the sump then hard for the manifold with the manifold attached to the sump bulkhead. Followed by soft from the manifold to the tank.
 
There is flexible from the pump to the bulkhead on the sump then hard for the manifold with the manifold attached to the sump bulkhead. Followed by soft from the manifold to the tank.
What kind of flexible connection from Pump to Bulkhead? From my experiences, Silicone hose will greatly reduce noise and vibration.
 
What kind of flexible connection from Pump to Bulkhead? From my experiences, Silicone hose will greatly reduce noise and vibration.
Vinyl, but I am open to spending the $10 for silicone from brs
 
Vinyl, but I am open to spending the $10 for silicone from brs
Definitely upgrade to Silicone Tube. It will be night and day different with noise/vibration. You don't need much; a short section of at least 6 inches will do.
 
Thank you for both of your help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new