Silent water overflow to sump

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wonder, is there any plumbing technique or special equipment that would make my water overflow from the display tank to sump dead silent? Or at least inaudible from a distance of 2m. How to do it?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wonder, is there any plumbing technique or special equipment that would make my water overflow from the display tank to sump dead silent? Or at least inaudible from a distance of 2m. How to do it?
Does it drain into socks or a chamber? If the latter, extend the pipe so that it's submerged?

OP
OP
T

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it drain into socks or a chamber? If the latter, extend the pipe so that it's submerged?

It will drain, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean just this part of plumbing in the sump, but rather the upper part or plumbing as a whole to make it dead silent from top to bottom.

If using socks, extend so it's right above the water line.
Use 45 degree connectors on the way down to prevent crashing as well.

Thanks, 45 degree connectors is a good idea. How silent can it be?

I perfectly tuned bean animal is dead silent. What overflow do you have?

That's a great article. Thanks, that's what I needed! Is it completely silent, like you do not hear anything at all? I treat my house like a temple and I love to have silence inside most of the time.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will drain, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean just this part of plumbing in the sump, but rather the upper part or plumbing as a whole to make it dead silent from top to bottom.

Thanks, 45 degree connectors is a good idea. How silent can it be?

That's a great article. Thanks, that's what I needed! Is it completely silent, like you do not hear anything at all? I treat my house like a temple and I love to have silence inside most of the time.
With my 45s and letting my overflow fill up almost to the emergency line the thing is pretty darn quiet...

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This all depends on the type of flow you’ll have inside the tank? If it’s a mixed reef, it should be quiet, but high flow tanks like sps dominant, you’ll probably get a little trickle in the external box? If you can’t handle a little trickle of water, then having a tank in your home probably isn’t going to cut it? Not trying to be snarky, just honest. I had a friend over last weekend who picked up some frags and he commented on how quiet my shadow ghost overflow was. As I mentioned in my earlier post, a properly tuned bean animal style overflow is pretty silent.

RFGuy_KCCO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea 300 G2 uses a hybrid bean animal overflow and it is dead silent. I can't hear it at all, even when standing right next to the tank. My point is, it is possible to have a completely silent overflow.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem recently. I had to turn down the flow using a gate valve on the drain pipe until the overflow box was almost completely full. I also used some extra pvc in the socks to make it quiet on that end.

Be careful when tuning with the gate valve. You need to keep enough water coming in that your return pump doesn't drain your sump. It needs to be balanced or you end up with an empty sump (go ahead, ask how I know).

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my standard RSR 425 XL running at about 7x. The overflow box is full to the top edge of the emergency drain. The only noise I generally get is from the sump where the water cascades into the socks but if I use a little floss on top it's silent. This saves cleaning the socks too often as well.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem recently. I had to turn down the flow using a gate valve on the drain pipe until the overflow box was almost completely full. I also used some extra pvc in the socks to make it quiet on that end.

Be careful when tuning with the gate valve. You need to keep enough water coming in that your return pump doesn't drain your sump. It needs to be balanced or you end up with an empty sump (go ahead, ask how I know).

That should never happen. If you close the siphon drain to much the balance should flow down the secondary.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The height of the water level in the external box is determined by a couple things. Gate valve, stand pipe height in relation to the primary and secondary siphon and turnover/flow amount. First you need to determine what turnover rate you're going to use, then you'll need a couple different length PVC pipes to play around with, along with adjusting the gate valve. It will take some time experimenting with the PVC pieces in order to get the right combo for your tank/setup.
My reasoning for utilizing a lower turnover rate is very simple. First, the flow in the display should come from powerheads/pumps and not the return (which is a complete waste of energy and shortens the return pump's life running at full tilt). Powerheads/controllable pumps are designed for flow, return pumps are not, unless they are utilized in a closed-loop. Second, the lower turnover allows for detritus to be kicked up by the powerheads/pumps in the display and brought down to the sump where it can settle and be easily removed. The return pump is there to exchange water from the sump to the display in order to heat, provide oxygen from the skimmer and allow the skimmer to actually pull out the crap we're trying to get rid of, plus there should be enough flow from chamber to chamber to catch anything with mechanical filtration.
But hey, there's a million ways of doing this, I just like to keep it simple.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back