Silica test kit

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm looking at dosing silica to battle large cell amphidinium dinos, and want an accurate test kit. There aren't many options I'm seeing, and I heard salifert can have issues, as well as the Seachem test. Any suggestions here for a reliable test? Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used and like the Hach silica kit.

Tests that analyze for soluble silica, such as any of the kits available to the hobby, will only detect soluble forms. I recommend the low range silica test from Hach, Model SI-7, catalog number 22550-00. While the values obtained with such kits may not be comparable to those obtained by other methods, they are suitable for understanding how much dissolved silica is present and available to organisms in tank water, and in other aqueous solutions, such as tap water.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you trying to beat the dinos by feeding diatoms silicate?
Yes sir it is my understanding that is potentially effective against large amphidinium dinos. The silica would feed diatoms which would eat or outcompete the dinos. I am still researching to understand the method.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used and like the Hach silica kit.

Tests that analyze for soluble silica, such as any of the kits available to the hobby, will only detect soluble forms. I recommend the low range silica test from Hach, Model SI-7, catalog number 22550-00. While the values obtained with such kits may not be comparable to those obtained by other methods, they are suitable for understanding how much dissolved silica is present and available to organisms in tank water, and in other aqueous solutions, such as tap water.
Thanks for that. Looks to be almost $100.. wonder if the Hanna silica test would be as effective for my needs, at closer to $60. I may just bite the bullet. If I knew a sure fire method/process, I'd probably pay $300+ right now to get rid of the dino issue :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir it is my understanding that is potentially effective against large amphidinium dinos. The silica would feed diatoms which would eat or outcompete the dinos. I am still researching to understand the method.

I think outcompete is the issue, not consuming them. it's isn't clear exactly what they compete for, but I suspect trace elements of some sort, and maybe also space to attach.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Looks to be almost $100.. wonder if the Hanna silica test would be as effective for my needs, at closer to $60. I may just bite the bullet. If I knew a sure fire method/process, I'd probably pay $300+ right now to get rid of the dino issue :D

I'm not sure you even need a kit to try it.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. I havent tried this myself but pool sand is silicate based and I used it for my very first tank and had diatoms on it for a year before replacing the sand bed due to frustration. I've never had to really deal with a serious dino issue they just dont seem to exsist when the rocks are already covered in diatoms and other algeas at the beginning of a new tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hanna kit/checker gives nice clear repeatable results. Myself and others are quite happy with it.
Hanna Low Range Si
(based on same chemistry method as the Hach kit @Randy Holmes-Farley posted)

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hanna kit/checker gives nice clear repeatable results. Myself and others are quite happy with it.
Hanna Low Range Si
(based on same chemistry method as the Hach kit @Randy Holmes-Farley posted)
So...I bought the Hanna kit...and took my first reading this morning. I got .79.....What should I be shooting for? So far...the dinos are winning.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I bought the Hanna kit...and took my first reading this morning. I got .79.....What should I be shooting for? So far...the dinos are winning.

ppm?

How long was that measurement after the last silicate dose?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ppm?

How long was that measurement after the last silicate dose?
12 hours....and yes....ppm....according to my Hanna Silica LR

PS...Is there a 'best time' to test? I been putting 10 drops of Sponge Excel once a day for about two weeks (32 gallon biocube). I do see an increase of diatoms under the microscope, but the dinos still outnumber by 3 fold.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That number is fine. I get good diatom growth (provided other nutrients are present) at anything from a couple of tenths up to 1ppm SiO2. No reason to go higher than that, IMO.

hanna reports SiO2 ppm
12 hours....and yes....ppm....according to my Hanna Silica LR

PS...Is there a 'best time' to test? I been putting 10 drops of Sponge Excel once a day for about two weeks (32 gallon biocube). I do see an increase of diatoms under the microscope, but the dinos still outnumber by 3 fold.
I'd test before dosing. Now that you know your current dosing amount is giving you a reasonable tank concentration, I'd test once every few days.

The game you're playing here is to export the biomass that grows (suck out brown patches if necessary), and keep Si, P, N available. You'll grow both diatoms and dinos, but diatoms grow faster. Soon - maybe happened already - the growth will slow down as other elements become limiting (Fe/trace etc).
Under those conditions, dinos have a harder time, and what grows will be more diatoms. At that point Si, P, N dosing can slow way down or stop altogether.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That number is fine. I get good diatom growth (provided other nutrients are present) at anything from a couple of tenths up to 1ppm SiO2. No reason to go higher than that, IMO.

hanna reports SiO2 ppm

I'd test before dosing. Now that you know your current dosing amount is giving you a reasonable tank concentration, I'd test once every few days.

The game you're playing here is to export the biomass that grows (suck out brown patches if necessary), and keep Si, P, N available. You'll grow both diatoms and dinos, but diatoms grow faster. Soon - maybe happened already - the growth will slow down as other elements become limiting (Fe/trace etc).
Under those conditions, dinos have a harder time, and what grows will be more diatoms. At that point Si, P, N dosing can slow way down or stop altogether.
I've seen you mention the trace elements theory thing in lot of posts. Still catching up on the LCA post and the main Dino post on pages 16 and I think like 50, respectively. I see this post was from few years ago. Do you still feel that depleting trace elements is what's working? I know you are one of the leading experts on dinos so I should probably just do whatever you say lol, but if I try to bottom out trace elements, can't this have other consequences in the tank? I've had several corals either die or almost dead recently so I hate to do something drastic that could weaken them more. I'm still dosing my 2 part B Ionic and All-For-Reef as I have for probably a year now. I just started dosing silica 2 days ago, hoping this will help. Basically just checking in here to see how strongly you feel or if you still think limiting some trace elements is worth doing in the scheme of all this. Thanks!

If it helps btw, I'm battle LCA for months now. I did H202 and low blue light no white light for couple of weeks. They left, but came back, however they are not nearly as bad now. I've kept Phos at .30+ for over a month now. Dosing SpongExcel at recommended dosage + MB7 daily.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say trace elements in the context of limiting it for dinos, we pretty much just mean Fe. maybe some other transition metals could matter too - but Fe is the most obvious connection.

It's weird (and complicated) to think how many different dino "methods" may all be working by playing the same game of limiting Fe/trace.
elevating pH, elevating temp, H2O2, ozone, UV.
Those would probably all increase rates of oxidation of Fe and lower its solubility in water causing it to precipitate and deplete more quickly (maybe - it's complicated).
Not to mention all the methods of direct competition that may result in the Fe becoming scarce: carbon dosing, Si addition, live phyto.

Anyway, yes.
I still think limiting trace inputs (Fe especially) is important in getting these "competition" methods to work effectively.

Si helps diatoms which are a good competitor precisely because they are so similar in habit to the dinos.

cutting off trace element additions is not an extreme measure, IMO. Stopping water changes has been a pretty simple first step for most dinos for a long time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that trace element competition is a likely explanation for many dino treatments, and physical competition for space on rocks and such may also play a role.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I really appreciate these answers @taricha and @Randy Holmes-Farley you guys are legends.

What is the current recommendation for Silica test as this post is old. I can't find the one Randy recommended on Amazon, and since he recommended the Hach Si-7 years ago, and it doesn't give same reading that Taricha is recommending 1ppm in with Hanna checker, plus I just like Hanna since I already have several Hanna checkers.

What do you guys recommend now? I know there were some complaints about old Silica tests including Hanna maybe at some point? But we're years later now, so what's current best practice, thanks !

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hach and Hanna both make Si test kits that work well.
I've used the hanna. The target I recommended of 1ppm SiO2 is simply a round number of convenience. There's nothing specific about it.
It's middle of the range for the hanna LR Si checker (0.00 to 2.00 ppm SiO2) and it's a level where I saw diatoms grow well in my system, and it isn't crazy compared to natural seawater levels.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back